New bass! Unlined Stealth Stingray SLO Special

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Jonithen, Mar 7, 2018.

1. Jonithen

Jonithen

Dec 3, 2012
    Seacoast NH
    Hi Talkbass, been a little while since I showed off a new toy. This is one of 3 I have planned for 2018.

I guess I got lucky when I put in the order for this one, as I was informed that with the 2018 models coming out some of the selections I asked for might not be available for a while.

As the title says, this is an unlined stealth stingray with the SLO Special neck. I also went with the 2 band preamp. Even though I kind of liked having the center detente, there's just something about the 2 band that works better for me.

I am extremely happy with this instrument. Sometimes you just know when you open the case if something is a keeper or if it will be a short timer. There's nothing new to report on the construction - I've only had a few EBMM instruments, but every single one has been solid as a rock. Sound and feel are subjective, we all have our preferences but when it comes to putting pieces together, the team they have at that factory knows how to build instruments. The weight doesn't feel too bad, I've never been especially focused on that so it isn't like I go running for the scale. It's got some heft, but it doesn't feel like a boat anchor. One thing I love is it is dead silent when I'm not trying to make noise with it. The electronics are fantastic.

Running the stock strings, the G sounds just fine in relation to the other strings. Sometimes the difference between the D and the G can feel like jumping off a cliff but it's well balanced from one to the next. So much so I'm on the fence about changing these out. I may keep the rounds going, my fretless P with Labella '54s more than scratches my flatwound itch so it's nice to have a different tonal thing happening with this.

Thanks for taking a look! Any comments or thoughts welcome, especially if you've got insights that might help me dial this baby in.

Attached Files:

2. lowdownthump

lowdownthump

Jul 17, 2004
    The lack of frets makes it look super stealth!!
    Great call on the 2band and SLO neck.
    Checks all the boxes for me.
    Congrats on a great bass.
    MusicMan is by far my favorite brand.:thumbsup:drool

Jonithen likes this.
  3. simongpaez

simongpaez Supporting Member

Feb 28, 2005
    The Woodlands , Texas
    Great , congrats SLO are amazing I have one and love it.

Jonithen likes this.
  4. Crusher47

Crusher47 Tattoo'ed Freak

Apr 12, 2014
    Fort Worth, TX
    Very cool, Congrats!

Jonithen likes this.
  5. Dasgre0g

Dasgre0g DasGre0g Supporting Member

Awesome bass.

Jonithen likes this.
  6. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 19, 2021