1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

New Bass VI is here! With video

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by jbiscuti, Mar 29, 2013.

1. jbiscuti

jbiscuti

Dec 22, 2007
    NYC / LA
    Endorsing Artist: Grolsch Strap Locks
    Mine is finally here and I'm having a blast with it! First task - getting that nasty Helter Skelter tone:

http://youtu.be/0W5fgfSAAiU

Note: you are hearing NONE of the original bass in that video - that's all me. Didn't go note-for-note - boy would THAT be a pain - just tried to capture the vibe and ham-fistedness of the original.

More on my impressions about the Bass VI a bit later...

2. sloppy_phil

sloppy_phil

Aug 21, 2011
    Toronto, ON, Canada
    Not actually named Phil
    Wow, definitely nailed that tone, man! Pure goodness all the way, it sounded a lot like the record. Good work, sounded great!

3. jbiscuti

jbiscuti

Dec 22, 2007
    NYC / LA
    Thanks dude!

This thing arrived with an absolutely atrocious setup. The pickup heights made absolutely no sense (they sounded completely out of whack), the neck was bowed, the bridge was too high, and the bridge pickup screws were all almost completely out! I'm wondering if it was a return that someone had monkeyed with (it came from a big box online store).

Once I got it all tweaked out, it played much better, but man, this thing was just crying out for flatwounds. The low E string was basically unusable with that thin roundwound. So I put on a set of LaBellas and WOW - there it was! These things are totally meant for flatwounds. Yes, they're expensive at around $50 a pop, but it could be the difference between this thing being a keeper for you or not (I was already thinking about selling mine until I put the flats on).

I really need to do a video next to show how smooth and "normal bass-like" this can sound - it doesn't just do the Helter Skelter thing!

4. packhowitzer

packhowitzer 155mm of pure destruction

Apr 20, 2011
    Atlanta
    great sound. great playing too! cool... thanks for posting

5. Excellent sounding instrument with those flatwounds, and excellent playing. Thanks for posting.

6. Fantastic! The tone is spot on.
    I want one.

7. pedulla-2007

pedulla-2007

Sep 2, 2008
    texas
    Well done, be proud!

8. fenderhutz

fenderhutz Supporting Member

Jan 28, 2007
    Harpers Ferry WV
    Cool vid, I would like to hear more than 2-3 strings though lol.

9. I got mine yesterday but haven't had a chance to play with it today, it's going to take time to get use to but I think I'm going to love it. Nice knowing it wasn't just me that had a bad low E; I'm just dying to get some flats to replace the stock strings. Great cover by the way!

10. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Man, you totally nailed that tone. Great job!

11. jazzgalore

jazzgalore

Jan 1, 2013
    Hmm... I played one of these for a while back in the early 70s. It was from a friend's guitar collection. Was ok. There were a lot of things about it that I didn't like, though. That's just me.

12. ScottTunes

ScottTunes Gear-A-Holic Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2011
    So Cal
    Nice "catch!" Makes me miss mine...

Also a nice cover!

13. SirMjac28

SirMjac28 Patiently Waiting For The Next British Invasion Gold Supporting Member

Aug 25, 2010
    The Great Midwest
    Great sound gorgeous basses I love them.

14. jbiscuti

jbiscuti

Dec 22, 2007
    NYC / LA
    Thanks guys! Looking forward to doing more videos to show what this thing can do.