New Boss RC-3 and RC-30!

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by tombaker, Feb 12, 2011.

1. Anyone keen on trying these new pedals out?
    They look pretty handy. 3 hours recording time :eek: more then enough I reckon
    I might look into getting the RC-30 myself.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Anyone else interested in them?

2. Bloodhammer

Bloodhammer Twinkle Twinkle Black Star

Jul 7, 2009
    Shreveport, Louisiana
    I'm definitely thinking of getting an RC30.

My friend lets me screw around with his Jam Man Solo, but one pedal isn't enough. Having to double-click messes up my timing and the only advantage of the Digitech is the USB port. Now Boss has 'em too!

3. TalkBass Sponsor

4. escaraBAJO

escaraBAJO

Apr 24, 2000
    Hey! I'm interested too. I have the RC-20XL and it was lacking more time to sample. And the two sliders look very useful

Maybe a good thread to compare old and new stompbox loopers, digitech vs boss, etc.

Subscribed

5. escaraBAJO

escaraBAJO

Apr 24, 2000
    With all due respect, that thread didn't answer the OP question: has anybody tried it?

6. grovest

grovest

Feb 26, 2002
    Oregon
    I'm considering one but it seems like the built in rhythms didn't receive much of an upgrade from the '2' generation. I'd like to see Boss go wild with more Latin, more jazz, and electronic or simply abstract backing patterns. Me loading prerecorded samples is not the same as they won't quantize or re-sample to new tempos like the built in rhythms do.

7. escaraBAJO

escaraBAJO

Apr 24, 2000
    In my view there are two kind of uses for these things:

-For practice
    -For "sampling"

I'm for the second so more memory and two tracks are very welcome. The only thing i'm missing is a couple of knobs for up/down like in the new jamman. That way i could live loop AND trigger samples.
    You could use the optional footswitches boss sale but thats more space (and money)

8. I just sold my old JamMan and ordered the RC-3. I had the RC-2 before the Jamman but the fact that you could only save 11 recordings was not enough at all.
    But the rhythm guide is great for jamming and playing along - I'd dare to say that this is the best way of all to learn to play tight. Immediate feedback.

I'm so looking forward to this!
    However, I agree with grovest - they could have done a lot more with those drumsamples...

9. CaptainSir

CaptainSir

May 12, 2009
    Conyers, Ga
    the RC-30 is on the way to my house. will have some new/review up by the weekend.
    duel tracks. 99 different phrase saves. im sold not to mention the 3 hours of total record time

10. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

I tried the RC-3. I really enjoyed it because opposite to its predecessors, I instantly understood how it worked and what could be done with it. Very straightforward.
    Boss seem to have fixed the "bleeding at the end of the loop" issue, which was so bad on the RC-20. It really misses a second pedal though. The double tap trick would be a bit hard to manage.
    I didn't know there was a RC-30, I'm interested.

11. JBTucci

JBTucci Supporting Member

Oct 27, 2008
    KS
    Messed around with a JamMan solo but that RC-3 looks really nice ...

12. Moonlid

Moonlid

Jul 27, 2010
    Leuven
    A few questions =)

Does the rc-30 have a quantize feature, and is the USB-interface compatible with Mac OS X?

13. caeman

caeman The Root Master

Sep 17, 2008
    Ohio
    That RC-3 looks like it could be the perfect backing track machine for a solo gigger.

14. northman

northman

Sep 20, 2007
    I just tried a Boss RC-3 in the local music store. It's an improvement over the RC-2 for sure - e.g. it allows you to save the same loop or rhythm to multiple phrases. This is very cool except it seems to have a major bug. When the same drum or percussion loop is saved to 2 successive phrases (e.g. 1 and 2), there is a playback delay (0.5 - 1 second) when switching between these 2 phrases. In other words, switching between 2 identical phrase loops is not seamless which makes the petal useless for live performance where each phrase would contain rhythm audio for song parts A, B, C, etc (verse, chorus, bridge, etc).

Can anyone else out there confirm this bug? Maybe there's a setting I missed when trying out the petal. I need to know if there a way to eliminate the playback delay when switching phrases before I purchase one.

-AJ

15. I bought an rc-3 the other day and I really like it, I'm still gettin used to it tho. Tomorrow I'm gonna hit radio shack for materials I need to build a fs-6 clone to stop playback and switch banks. I have no building experience so this could get interesting.

16. maguire

maguire

Nov 24, 2010
    NYC / Westchester
    Hey Northman - I bought the RC-3 and had the exact same problem - lag between phrase switch. it really gets me upset because the pedal has so much potential but loses it all because of this problem.

I tried pre-recording rhythm samples - I thought that the rhythm generator may have been causing the lag - but there was still lag with my pre-recorded wav drum tracks.

I got the RC-30 yesterday- and alas it has the same exact issue. The lag between phrase switches is so disheartening. It's like manufacturing a sports car and then putting only 3 wheels on it, and no axel to mount the third wheel either.

Do you think Boss would ever release a new firmware for the pedal to correct the problem? I'll probably return the RC-30 and look for a different brand pedal without the phrase lag.

This pedal could be so awesome!

17. maguire

maguire

Nov 24, 2010
    NYC / Westchester
    Hey Moonlid,

Yes - it is compatible with OSX.

The tap in and out of recording will automatically figure the measure timing for you, so if you tap out of recording just before or just after the end of the 4th beat - it will correct it for you and adjust the time of the measure to fit perfectly.

This is not so when switching between phrases - there is a lag between the the last beat of your current phrase and the first beat of the phrase you are switching to.

This bug is completely annoying - and limits you to only one phrase if you are playing live.

18. northman

northman

Sep 20, 2007
    Thanks for confirming the "phrase lag" bug. I thought maybe it was a defect in my RC-3 but it definitely affects all units. I'm in Canada so I submitted a support ticket with Roland Canada describing the problem. I'll post back here when I hear back from them. Perhaps if you US residents could submit a support ticket with Boss US, we may get their attention and see if something can be done.

-AJ

19. maguire

maguire

Nov 24, 2010
    NYC / Westchester
    By the way - anyone else notice that the RC-50 is no longer available at most retailers?

Maybe the RC-60 (RC-70 or RC-300) is going to be released soon!

20. keiferedits

keiferedits

Jun 28, 2011
    Having used both of these pedals I must say the Digitech JamMan Stereo is the clear winner for me. Ease of use is the main reason. Having the ability to move up and down loops is great. Having the ability to dump files to an SD card is nice. It's just a straight forward pedal. Not as much foot dancing. Even though the JamManager software is a bit primitive it is an easy way to save and move your loops around.

Boss RC30 - Having the effects on the pedal seemed like a good idea but the reality is I couldn't see myself using them that much, if at all. I also found the double tap of pedals annoying. Bending over to make changes was also a chore. Additional footswitch is needed for easier loop changes. No SD card capability.

Both pedals are good, if you're looking for an exercise machine try the boss, if you're looking to start creating loops, try the digitech jamman stereo.

21. northman

northman

Sep 20, 2007
    I'd like to try a Jamaman solo since it's size compares with the RC-3. The problem with the Jamaman is it's recording order is record-play-overdub whereas I prefer record-overdub-play. Can the record order be changed in the Jamman?

Also it seems the Jamman Solo requires as much foot dancing as the RC-3 (e.g. double press to stop, etc) without an external footswitch.

-AJ