1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

New bridge for my new jazz ?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by The_NoBody, Apr 20, 2010.

1. The_NoBody

The_NoBody

Apr 12, 2010
    Hi,

I've find a Jazz Bass V used (MIM, from the 98/99 years).

And, since i've removed the strings for checking the ground, the saddle for the E string do a "rattle" sound. Probably against the saddle of the B string.

The saddle rattle, and some time, if i hit too hard (i'm not hitting that hard), he do a "clac" sound. I can forget the pick with this...

What i can do for this ? I think of doing a complete setup (with new string)... and probably a new bridge if that worth it.

Here is the exact "copy" of my Jazz V. Same color (we don't really care...), and same bridge. Take a look on the bridge for the model. (Standard, two track.)

Thanks for your help.

PS: Sorry if this message are not in the good section.

2. A little bit of tape will stop the rattle sound. Tension from the strings should have held the bridge in place but as you've noticed B-strings can be a bit sloppy. The E might cause the B to rattle check that first.

3. The_NoBody

The_NoBody

Apr 12, 2010
    For the tape, that's a good idea. I put the tape between each saddle ? But, my bridge need a tune-up first (the whole bass in fact).

Sloppy ? Hum, i don't know what you mean by "sloppy".

(For the saddle, the B vibrate against the E and the E vibrate against the B i think.)

EDITwhitoutedit: i've tried some more time, and the two last saddle vibrate a lot ! (E and B). I can almost see the vibration of the B saddle...

My bass are tuned.

4. Sloppy just means the B string isn't as taught/tight as the rest. It usually is more noticeable on 34" string lengths. Check your string height and make sure the screws setting the height aren't loosening because of vibrations.

5. The_NoBody

The_NoBody

Apr 12, 2010
    Ha, ho yeah, maybe a little bit sloppy.

And, on these kind of bridge, i've always seen saddle go down whit the vibration. But, whit a new one (Like a massive Gotoh... (I have one, but for four strings... shame), the problem go out.

6. The_NoBody

The_NoBody

Apr 12, 2010
    If ever i need to change my bridge (because its a pain in the ass...), have you some advice on which one to take ? I dont really care if it's a "ready to fit" one, or if i need to do some hole (which i'm not going to do by myself).

But, hey, if it's a ready to fit, that's going to be easy, but i cant find one.

7. walterw

walterw Supportive Fender Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 20, 2009
    alpha-music.com
    make sure the saddles are adjusted like this:
    FBRadius.

8. The_NoBody

The_NoBody

Apr 12, 2010
    The wrong one correspond to the E saddle.*But, i don't have the key for adjusting the saddle.

So, a setup while be good for the rattle sound ? In fact... my Jazz V need a full setup, so.

EDIT: In fact, yeah, the E saddle are like on the Wrong picture, but the B and the G saddle are completely on the plate. The screws (high adjustment) are all the way in the saddle. So, they don't even rest in the track.

9. The_NoBody

The_NoBody

Apr 12, 2010
    Ok, for now, i've adjusted the saddles, by hand. (the screw are easy, if the string are detuned), and the problem are gone, for now.

So, hey, no need to change the bridge now. Maybe later if the problem are back

Thanks.

EDIT: That's normal then the saddle are not tight one against the others ? Even if there was a track for the B and the G.