1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

new bridge...

Discussion in 'Setup & Repair [DB]' started by tbassist4, Aug 29, 2007.

1. It is in fact time for a new bridge, because mine is bending backwards, haha. I have a Chinese plywood bass that went through a major overhaul to make it play and sound as good as possible, but the bridge is original, with adjusters that were added later. The funny thing is that it isn't bending at the adjusters, it's bending towards the top where all of the cut out sections are.

So needless to say I'll be getting a new one. What is this process like? I'll be going into a luthier very soon to have this done. Do luthiers usually order a bridge in and fit it to the bass? Or do they make one from scratch? How much should I expect to pay if one is ordered, and how much should I expect to pay if one is custom made? I know which one will cost more...but I just want to know how much these things cost in general, how long it takes, and what the process is like.

2. stz

stz

Nov 9, 2006
    Derby, UK
    No idea in the states but I'm going through the same thing here in the UK at the moment.

They'll get a bridge in which has been unshaped then they'll cut it to fit. Long story short they all have to be fitting individually from a 'blank' bridge.

I'd expect to pay about an hours labour.