1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

New build (I'm gonna finish this one)

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by Ol'Bass'ead, May 8, 2010.

1. So today I finished sanding off the black and started putting on the green just like I had done with the black. Took LOTS and LOTS of coats to get it look green.

greenagain2.

Then I noticed that there were sanding marks in the top, and that wouldnt do.....

Close-up2.

So, I sanded it off again, got it smooth, and got it green again.

greenagain.

The first coat of clear is drying as I type this. So we'll see how it turns out this time.....

2. OK. So its cleared and shiny again.....

Clearandshiny.

Actually, Ive been sanding and clearing and sanding and sanding........But its getting there.

3. So I got my planer back with the new blades and found I could get as thin as .019 so I made a new cap for the headstock and glued it on.

Clampingtheheadstock.

Once that dried, I cut and sanded off the excess and drilled my tuner holes...

Drillingtunerholes.

And ended up with this...

finished.

4. well done... very niceeeeeeee

5. So now I'm getting down to the last details. After I got the black on the headstock;

Blacked.

I then sanded that off and put the green on-a couple of times-and then cleared it;

Headstock.

Then I went back and polished up the body again....

allpolishedup.

Last Friday (the 19th) I put it all together and threw on a old set of strings to make sure it worked. I made a temporary nut out of a scrap of maple just to see if it would make a sound. With no set up or neck adjustments, it played pretty well! So then I got excited and made a nut from Corian, went down and bought a new set of strings and tookit to a gig I was doing that night. After tuning it up and playing around with it during practice, the sound guy tells me thet it was sounding amazing and that I should play it for the gig. The rest of the band concurred, so I did. It sounded great, played pretty well (still needed setup) and was looking pretty sharp if I do say so myself! Anyway, Ive been tweaking the setup a bit this week, and played it again this Saturday for an outdoor church meeting. Into the set a ways, it just wasnt sounding right and I figured the sound guy was killing me, but during a break, I decided to change the battery, and WOW! What a difference! I must have had a pretty weak battery in there to begin with, but it now plays and sounds REALLY good so Im happy. Have some gold knobs on order-OH! I forgot to mention that I changed the hardware from black to gold. I put the black bridge on it and it looked terrible with the green, so I put it together in gold-much better!

outsideshot.

6. Musiclogic

Musiclogic Commercial User

Aug 6, 2005
    Southwest Michigan
    Owner/Builder: HJC Customs USA, The Cool Lute, C G O
    Very cool, and love the green...all greens are good.

7. Wow, that thing looks stunning! Really nice choice of colours, and the figures of the top woods show really well. It's great to hear that it sounds good...could you share that sound with us people who weren't fortunate enough to make the gig? :)

8. great job ! very beautiful

9. Ive been trying to figure out how to record some sound clips. Anyone have any suggestions?

10. Zombbg4

Zombbg4

Jul 15, 2008
    Olympia,Wa
    On the cheap- Get a 1/4 to 1/8th inch adapter from Radio Shack and plug into the line in on your computer.

Less Cheap- Get a USB audio interface which can be had for around 50 bucks on ebay, atleast when I was hunting for them a few weeks ago.

You can record the audio with Audacity which is free.

11. Cool! Ill look into it.

12. I agree with Zombbg4 - that way's definitely more than adequate!

Then you can download a free audio recorder like Audacity - record and you're done!

13. elroyjetsn

elroyjetsn

Mar 21, 2010
    West Virginia
    If you have an IPhone, try the memo recorder. The mic is actually very good.

14. Spraeg

Spraeg

May 13, 2010
    Chicago
    Very nice... the elongated horn is a cool look, different enough to be noticeable, but still keeping a classic feel, very nice job!

15. mtizzle

mtizzle

Mar 23, 2008
    Great job!

16. Thank you all for the kind words-guess I'm going to have to figure out a name for it. Got two guys interested in having one for themselves!