1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

New cab build

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Blues Bass 2, May 19, 2011.

1. Blues Bass 2

Blues Bass 2 Supporting Member

Oct 3, 2001
    Davenport Iowa
    I started a new cab build a few days ago . I'm using an Eminence Legend CB158 15" in an Eminence designed cabinet .
    http://www.eminence.com/pdf/Legend_CB15_cab.pdf
    It's the medium size bass guitar cabinet plan .
    The dimentions are :23" high x 20.5" wide x 15"deep with the baffle recessed 1.5". It has two 4"ports 5.5" long .

I wanted a full range speaker so I borrowed a design from the Audiokarma forums . It's called the Econowave because it's an inexpensive way to get very good waveguide performance . They use it mostly to modify hi-end home listening speakers and have had great results so I thought it might work for bass guitar too . They originally used a JBL waveguide but found later that a Pyle waveguide worked very well too . That gets coupled to a Selenium D220TI driver but the thing that makes it work is the crossover they designed for it . We'll see how that works out when I get it all together .

For the cab I'm using 1/2" Birch . I don't have a truck so I had to use what was cut in 2 by 4ft size to fit my Honda Accord . I wanted to save some weight because the CB158 has an 80 ounce magnet and the Selenium driver is 24 ounces plus the weight of the crossover . I'm hoping it turns out lighter than 60 pounds . Anyway here's some pics of the progress .

Legendcabinet001.
    Legendcabinet002.

First coat of Duratex:

Legendcabinet004.
    Legendcabinet005.

Adding the lining

Legendcabinet006.
    Legendcabinet007.

Adding the handles:

Legendcabinet008.

Done with the stuffing

Legendcabinet009.

I wanted to front port the cabinet but with the size of the 15" and the horn it just wasn't going to work . The port placement doesn't matter soundwise anyway so I put them to the left and right of the compession driver and I think it worked out pretty good . There should be plenty of room for air movement up there . I've heard that you don't want the ports right behind the drivers so that's why they are up top . I also used flared ports , mainly because they mounted easy but they should cut down on chuffing . You can see them on the table with the glue drying after attaching the tubes to the flare . Next up installing the corners and ports and then building the crossover .

JB1962 likes this.
  2. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    Looking good! Thanks for sharing.

3. DukeLeJeune

DukeLeJeune rational romantic mystic cynical idealist Supporting Member Commercial User

Nov 24, 2008
    Princeton, Texas
    Owner & designer, AudioKinesis; Auth. mfg, Big E (Home Audio only)
    Beautiful work and excellent design decision, Blues Bass 2. I use the same waveguide-style horn as the Econowave in my bass cab and in several of my home audio speakers. While I "discovered" it independent of Zilch and his Econowave project, he beat me to it by a year or so. When I first ran a suite of measurements on that horn, I thought my measurement setup was broken or something - the results looked too good to be true. You have the makings of a truly superb bass cab there. Not the lightest cab around, but superb in tone and bang-for-the-buck.

4. Blues Bass 2

Oct 3, 2001
    Davenport Iowa
    Thanks guys , I've got a crappy skill saw that needs a new blade as you can see from the burnt cuts and no router so it takes a while to get the cuts right . I used a couple sureforms to round the edges and while not as easy as a router it still works . I do enjoy building though and this is working out pretty good .

5. dbhokie

dbhokie

Nov 1, 2010
    Doin a great job thanks for sharing.

6. Check the nearest Biglots or Harbor Freight for a cheap hand belt sander. I don't think I paid $20 for mine and it does a great job of rounding corners & edges. Replacement belts in various grits are about $2 ea, much cheaper than router bits. I've even clamped it in my workmate by it's handle & used it as a poor man's spindle sander.

7. GroovyBaby

GroovyBaby G&L Fanboy Supporting Member

Oct 19, 2007
    Huntingdon, PA
    Looks nice! Where did you purchase the lining material from?

8. will33

will33

May 22, 2006
    austin,tx
    Hey, now there's an example of a nice build. Your bracing scheme is well done, I like your choice of woofers too. Even with heavy drivers you should be able to hit your weight goal or at least get close, nice job.

9. Blues Bass 2

Oct 3, 2001
    Davenport Iowa
    Wal Mart ,mattress topper. Bill FitzMaurice always reccomends it when people ask what to use . Really Bill F. ,Greenboy and Duke are why this cab build will probably work out . I got most of the know how from reading the threads on Talkbass where these guys tell the rest of us over and over what will work and what won't .

10. rpsands

rpsands

Jul 6, 2007
    Phoenix, AZ
    Quilt batting beats the crap out of mattress topper :)

11. singlemalt

singlemalt Supporting Member

Dec 15, 2007
    White Salmon, WA
    I do like that Polyfill batting from Walmart. Staples in nice and no itch. The mattress topper looks pretty cool.

12. Blues Bass 2

Oct 3, 2001
    Davenport Iowa
    Got the horn installed . Used some adhesive backed foam door sealer around the edges on the box and then cut a section of the foam mattress pad to fit over the horn bell . I stretched the pad to fit between the horn edge and baffle and tightened it all up . I got most of my crossover built today and I'll have pictures when I have it intalled in a day or two . Then I'll be able to give it a smoke test to hear what it sounds like . The grill's coming from Reliable hardware and should be here Thursday .

002-1.
    001-1.

I also took a picture of my new cab between an old Peavey I have been upgrading some and one of my older Avatar 112s that I modified to pole mount PA mains a few years ago for size comparison . I bought the Legend 15" to replace the speaker in the Peavey cabinet then found out the Peavey speaker was fine , thus started my new cab build . I'm also going to do the Econowave mod to the pair of Avatar cabinets as soon as I get done with my bass cab . I may use them for bass again once that's done .

004-2.

JB1962 likes this.
  13. Nice build! Thanks for the pics.

14. Willicious

Willicious Supporting Member

Feb 24, 2008
    Bend, Oregon
    subbed for a nice build!

15. Blues Bass 2

Oct 3, 2001
    Davenport Iowa
    Finished it up except for the grill .

006-1.
    008-1.
    003-3.
    004-3.

Tried it last night with my BB425 and my Carvin BX500 and a BDDI . Very nice and clear all the way up . It had good bottom end with no flab at all . It won't go super deep but what it has is plenty for what I do and I know after it breaks in a while it will even get fatter . From what I heard I think it will do as a standalone cab for gigs , I'll know more next week when I try it with my band .

Very happy !

16. singlemalt

singlemalt Supporting Member

Dec 15, 2007
    White Salmon, WA
    Nice looking cab!

What did you trim the corner overhangs with? That's a nice detail, I need to attend to on my cabs.

Can't wait to see the grill, I'm about done with the round grill look.

17. Exploiter8

Exploiter8 Demons run when a good man goes to war

Jan 18, 2010
    Midwest
    Commercial FREE!
    Nice work! I'm glad to see you went the extra mile and used t-nuts. I'm amazed manufacturers have gotten away from using them.

X8

18. Blues Bass 2

Oct 3, 2001
    Davenport Iowa
    Thanks .

The corners I used a yellow handle (straight) tin snip to trim . They work real well with the plastic corners and make it easy .

The t-nuts were just about a nessesity with the 1/2" baffle . True to form though one of them locked up when installing the speaker for the first time and it was a pain to get it out . Then another trip to the hardware store . I have used #8 sheet metal screws in 3/4" baffles before with no trouble but I wouldn't trust it with 1/2" . T-nuts aren't that hard to put in though so if your bracing or cabinet edges don't get in the way they work great . I used 10/32 .

I did have a scare last night when I tried the cabinet . On a couple of different places on the fretboard high and low I would get an electronic buzz . Turned out one of my sons snare drums was ten feet away .

19. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    :) Don't feel bad. This sort of thing happens to the best of us. My garage/workshop has no shortage of things that can resonate and I've gone crazy at times trying to make the room quiet so I can hear the cab properly.

20. Blues Bass 2

Oct 3, 2001
    Davenport Iowa
    Got the grill today and installed it . The cabinet really looks finished now .

001-4.

This thing turned out just like I wanted . I don't have a scale but I would guess this cab only weighs about 50 pounds or a little over and this is with heavy drivers . It's a very easy carry . Anybody who wants to build their own cabinet don't hesitate because of neo prices going up . You can still build a fairly lightweight cab just by using 1/2" ply and bracing it right , I am suprised how much that saves in weight . Anyway thanks to Duke who has sent me many PMs giving me great tips on building .

JB1962 and FanOfAlice like this.