1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

New Carl Thompson Videos

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by Charles Farley, Mar 12, 2009.

1. Carl Thompson's shop just posted three great new videos on YouTube discussing a few things, including his approach to fretwork on Les Claypool's new bass.

Part 1

2. Wow :eek: .. very interesting! Thanks!

3. King V

King V

Dec 13, 2005
    Seattle, WA
    Sweet vids...thanks for the post.

4. scottyd

scottyd Commercial User

Nov 17, 2006
    Waco Tx
    Builder/owner Redeemer Basses
    Carls the man!

5. Stone Age

Stone Age

Apr 13, 2008
    Connecticut
    That is really cool.

6. WRXbase

WRXbase

Jan 14, 2009
    Clayton, NC
    OMG!!!!! Did you see the blasphemy on that "modified" bass? I died a little inside.

7. Yeah, horrible...

8. Mofo-Kang

Mofo-Kang

Aug 26, 2006
    Modesto, CA
    Didn't someone from talkbass buy that "modified" one off Ebay? I thought I recognized the white j-bass pickup on there...

9. Gone

Gone

Mar 21, 2006
    Cape Town
    Jayda custom basses, builder
    Thanks for pointing out the vids. They were a good watch!

10. yep, i think i saw this bass here on talkbass to a few months ago!

11. peterpalmieri

peterpalmieri Supporting Member

Apr 19, 2005
    Babylon, NY
    Thank you for sharing. I've not had the opportunity to play a Carl Thompson bass. Honestly that style of bass never appealed to me.

Regardless I found those links and some others with Carl speaking very very interesting.

Thanks again...

12. Yes, I purchased that instrument on TB Classifieds. I've always wanted an old-school CT instrument, and it's so rare for them to show up for sale.

It's ridiculous that somebody with obviously NO SKILLS decided to modified this bass. They should be practicing on scrap wood rather than an instrument.

But, I am paying Carl to repair the damage and put some semblance of normalcy back to his instrument. I will post pics when the work is done.

13. gricko

gricko

Mar 29, 2004
    thank you for vids. never cared about CT basses and guess will never play one, but carl reminds me sooo much of my grandfather, who was working woods, too. made my first instrument as the matter of fact. anyway, carl has the same expressions, same hands as my grandfather. seems like a very kind / mild person.

14. LedBelli Bass

LedBelli Bass Fine, Handmade Custom Bass Guitars

Dec 25, 2008
    Pasco, WA
    First class!