1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

New Case Issue

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Fleas Old Bass, Dec 26, 2011.

1. Fleas Old Bass

Fleas Old Bass

Dec 26, 2011
    Hey all...

I have a Schecter Stiletto Studio 4 and was looking around for a good bass case with some X-mas money today...I bought the Gator GC Deluxe Bass Case and seemed like it would be a good match considering the Schecter case for the Stiletto series has gotten some bad reviews, and I figured I couldn't go wrong with the Gator...I got home and as I was closing the case I dropped the top half of the case to close it and there was about a 1/2 inch of space indicating the bass is too wide for the case...It closes nonetheless but I am just worried that this added stress will hurt the neck, and or knobs/pickups/bridge etc... I could not find much info online so figured I'd post on TB...thanks guys

2. Foamy

Foamy

Jun 26, 2006
    Sac Area
    Pics, please. Maybe it is going to form around and better support the neck? Need Pics.

3. Fleas Old Bass

Fleas Old Bass

Dec 26, 2011
    crappy pics but here's the gist

Attached Files:

4. 96tbird

96tbird PLEASE STAND BY

So when you close it, the foam in the lid compresses against the bass?

5. Fleas Old Bass

Fleas Old Bass

Dec 26, 2011
    Ya definitely...
    I try to look in as best I can when I'm closing it but there's definitely string imprints in the foam on the top...

6. darkstorm

darkstorm

Oct 13, 2009
    Take case back for refund. Take your bass to stores a see if they have one that will fit it right.

7. Fleas Old Bass

Fleas Old Bass

Dec 26, 2011
    I would but I'm driving back home from the holidays (Ohio to Florida) and hoping it will be alright for the 14 hour trip

I can head to Sam Ash when I'm back down there and properly shop for a correct case

8. 96tbird

96tbird PLEASE STAND BY

Personally I wouldn't worry if it's just foam compression, like if you can compress it with finger pressure, but it's your call.

9. Fleas Old Bass

Fleas Old Bass

Dec 26, 2011
    ya theres definitely foam there so I'm not freaking out a whole lot, just wanted some legit input from some TBer's! thanks guys

10. Foamy

Foamy

Jun 26, 2006
    Sac Area
    If you look at their web site, you see that they have several different models for various guitars, but just one "bass" case.
    I'm sure it is just that the foam needs to form to your bass.

11. fhm555

fhm555 So FOS my eyes are brown Supporting Member

Feb 16, 2011
    Might not be an issue with the new plastic finishes, but I've seen plenty of old basses with stains or finish indents on them where case liner was pressed too tight against the bass. I don't think you have anything to worry about for a day or so while you get back home, and may never have any problem, but I'd be looking to find a better fit if it was mine.

12. elgecko

elgecko

Apr 30, 2007
    Anasleim, CA
    I had a Modulus factory case that did that to a lesser degree. I sold it on Ebay and the buyer complained that he could barely close the case. I honestly told him that the only time it had a bass in it was during shipping and that the foam probably needed to compress a bit. I never heard back from him so I figure it all worked out.

13. Fleas Old Bass

Fleas Old Bass

Dec 26, 2011
    The case really isn't that bad but for some reason theres an extension of the foam running down the middle on the top, which wouldn't be bad but on the outside of the foam extension there's a hard boundary which presses against my volume knob and after a 15 hour car ride the hard boundary now has the volume knob imprint in it so I'm guessing I could just "mold" it into the shape of the knob. Plus my bass is constructed out of one piece of wood so it should be alright.