Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

New Computer!!

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by PICK, Aug 11, 2004.

1. PICK

PICK

Jan 27, 2002
    Sydney, Australia
    Got this yesterday

Compaq Presario
    Windows XP Home OS
    1024GB PC3200 DDR
    AMD Athlon 64 3400+ with HT
    160GB HD
    nVidia GeForce FX5500 3D AGP 256MB DDR

Im happy with it. Needless to say im a computer idiot and its probably a heap but im happy so im happy.

2. chrisb1024

chrisb1024 Guest

Mar 18, 2003
    Nashua, NH
    it doesn't sound like a heap to me man i am jealous!

3. WillPlay4Food

WillPlay4Food Now With More Metal! Staff Member Supporting Member

Apr 9, 2002
    Orbiting HQ
    Sounds like you're ready to play Doom III! :hyper:

4. The specs look good to me. Although, the vid card isn't as top of the line as the other things, but it's still a good, solid 128MB card. You should be 100% gtg.

5. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    Actually it's a good, solid 256mb card. I was thinking the same thing though. While there really isn't a "weak" point on the computer, I'd say from what you've shown us if you were going to upgrade anything it'd be the video card. Compaq doesn't have a reputation for great reliability but that sounds like a pretty kick-a$$ setup. Congrats.

brad cook

6. kserg

kserg

Feb 20, 2004
    London, UK
    One question, why XP home... home is bad for you:( no 64 support, and not as stable as pro:/

imo of course

Other then that, looks good spec wise, hope you dont have troubles i've seen some customers have with compaq, it changed after HP got em i believe.

Cheers

7. Yeah, I was thinking it was a 128MB card. I have a GeForce FX5900 and it's only a 128MB card. But I see no reason to upgrade mine yet...runs Doom 3 just fine.

8. XP Pro doesn't have 64 support either. Pro supports dual processors, but not 64 bit. 64 bit processors will still work, but won't be used to their full potential. Win2003 and the upcoming Windows Longhorn both support 64 bit processors however.

9. Looks pretty sweet.

I don't know what prices are like in other countries, but top of the line parts are insanely expensive here. I can't understand why anyone (to whom money is a concern) would buy them when they could get a slighty older one for less than half the price.

In Canadian $:
    ATI X800 Platinum edition 256MB - $800
    Nvidia GeForce 6800 256MB = $630 - $820

The card you have is $230. I don't think the extra quality is worth an extra $400 - $600.

In fact, out of curiousity I used the computer building tool at one website to configure a setup for an imaginary computer. I used the best available parts and the total came to about $12,000. That computer was only slightly better than what you have.

10. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    That's definitely an upgrade from the fx5500 256mb. Although PICK's has twice the video memory yours is much faster. I'd take yours over his any day.

brad cook

11. I didn't even think to check the clock speed of his card...

12. kserg

kserg

Feb 20, 2004
    London, UK
    Ya, but there is XP 64bit edition avelible. I ment why get 32bit is with 64bit cpu...

Anyway longhorn wont be out an til 2007 i believe:( toobad, its not a bad os, winFS looks good:p

13. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    So did your buddy, Bill Gates, send you a special advance copy or what?

brad cook

14. kserg

kserg

Feb 20, 2004
    London, UK
    I ran alpha of it and acctually ran the latest for abit, friend gave me a copy he got from work. Its not too bad... 2007 is number i heard it got pushed up to... not 100% sure but...

WinFS is i believe kind of like sql based type of thing, should be much faster working FS

Those are infos i know:) the freaken bar on LH is abit annoying though:)

15. vbass

vbass

May 7, 2004
    Bay Area, CA
    Nice system. I hate Compcrap though.

16. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    I'm using a compaq right now. It's a great internet machine, and does some games. I have a compaq laptop, too, and their service has been quite good to me. If I were to want a gaming machine, I'd build the thing myself. My compaq was inexpensive, and it does great for me. I mean, they are selling the same machines with Celerons instead of the Athlon XP I got for the same price. I got the better deal.

Woah! 2000 Posts!!!

17. Yeah, I've seen Longhorn a couple times too. Looks like they removed a lot of the more "flowery" things from the look of XP. It's a much better looking GUI IMO.

18. I am happy with Windows 98. It doesn't seem to hog so much system resources so I can get more out of my old hardware.

19. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Ontario
    Compaq/Dell/HP = :spit:

Mostly because a lot of the time they bilk people out of money with junk parts and a pretty case. The parts in that are pretty swanky, and if there's a weak link, it's definitely XP home. If you can get it, XP Pro is better, but I generally tend towards Win2k. Never had issues with that OS, but I've had innumerable ones with WinME (what a hunk 'o crap) and a few with XP Pro (and way more with home). If you build your own frankensteiner, you can get an equally powerful machine cheaper with everything you want, but that can be pretty hairy if you haven't done it before.

20. Ozzyman

Ozzyman

Jul 21, 2004
    How much did you get it for?