1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

New EB Cobalt Strings

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by king_biscuit, Jan 19, 2012.

1. king_biscuit

king_biscuit Supporting Member

May 21, 2006
    US
  2. mmbongo

mmbongo Dilly Dilly! Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2009
    Carolinas
    Not thrilled about the strings, but those basses are killer! He has Music Mans that that Johnny Lunchpail can't get.

3. king_biscuit

May 21, 2006
    US
    I thought that Bongo (Sky blue) in the video was available to the general public. I know he has that orange Sterling 5 that is a one-off. All of the EBMM bass/guitar artists seem to get cool one-off-a-kinds :)

4. steamthief

steamthief

Jan 25, 2006
    Mentone Beach
    I'm very interested in these strings, as EBMM is breaking new ground by using a new alloy. I'm waiting to hear the differences from standard Slinkys in a head-to-head comparison. One may not like all the new things EBMM have introduced over the past decade, but they deserve big props for pushing the envelope.

5. Not a fan of that sound at all. Way too "tin" sounding and high pitched for me. I didn't care for the sound on either bass, might have been both MM's and their pickups but if I wanted to sound like that, I'd play guitar...my likely meaningless opinion of course.

6. king_biscuit

May 21, 2006
    US
    Most music sounds like that on youtube, unfortunately. Considering what youtube generally sounds like, I thought the strings sounded pretty good. I want to hear, and play them, in person to formulate an opinion, though. I agree with Steamtheif, it is cool that someone is actually doing something different with strings this year.

7. Duckwater

Duckwater

May 10, 2010
    USA, Washington
    I don't dig the sound in the video, but I'll probably give them a try.

8. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

Love the sound of Stingrays! Bass tone on the vid was fine to me. To each his own! I wonder what the price point is?

9. steamthief

steamthief

Jan 25, 2006
    Mentone Beach
    I took the video with a grain of salt, I assume Randy Jackson likely has his rig and pre settings with the treble cranked. Ideally, someone will make a video comparing these with nickels and SS, using the same bass, rig and settings.

10. Cobalt, eh? Might have to put a set through the paces and see how they stack up. To me, in that vid, they sounded kinda in between nickel and steel, though leaning more towards steel and having less zing.

11. I'll certainly give them a whirl as soon as they are available.

12. tylerwylie

tylerwylie

Jan 5, 2008
    Dunwoody, GA
    Think there'll be a 6 string set?

13. There better be, or I've no use for them :bassist:

14. seedokebass

seedokebass

Mar 21, 2009
    Minnesota
    Definitely. Almost like a nicely broken in set of steels.

15. darkstorm

darkstorm

Oct 13, 2009
  16. SLaPiNFuNK

SLaPiNFuNK Commercial User

Jul 28, 2006
    LA California
    Owner: BassStringsOnline.com
    At the moment there are 6 sets... Five 4-String sets and one 5-String set:

4-String:
    Power
    Regular
    Hybrid
    Super
    Extra

and then the 5-String...

I didn't ask if they will have a single high-C available :(

17. Epitaph04

Epitaph04 Always overcompensating Supporting Member

Jul 5, 2010
    SoCal
    Definitely will try them out.

mwolff likes this.
  18. mmbongo

Aug 5, 2009
    Carolinas
    I hope they have a .135 available! If so I'll try them for sure.

19. mmbongo

Aug 5, 2009
    Carolinas
    Well I was poking around and saw Jason has the new Ernie Ball Cobalt strings up for pre-order for delivery in the last part of February!

I think these are definitely worth a shot and they are priced pretty good...and don't forget to register as a TB user on his site to get even better pricing....VIP has its benefits :)

Ernie Ball Cobalt Slinky Bass Strings from Bass Strings Online

20. JasonKain

JasonKain

Nov 24, 2008
    I've been doing flats and tapes for a while, and they haven't really been cutting it for me lately, so I'll probably be picking up a set of these for my backup, just to switch things up a bit. Incidentally, they'll be coming out right around the time I'll hopefully have my backup bass done, lol.