1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

New Fodera "Settling" in

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by JPMcGuire, Mar 24, 2019.

1. JPMcGuire

JPMcGuire Supporting Member

Jul 13, 2008
    Lake Orion, Michigan
    Ive had the experience working with Fodera over the past several years on three custom builds. My most recent build I found has changed significantly in tone over the past several weeks. I thought it was a myth/or more subtle effect, but my experience changed my opinion.

My bass was very aggressive the first day I pulled it from the case (bright and high mid emphasis). over the last two weeks the bass has evened, warmer and richer, but still possess the original DNA of the inherent voice. Even enough I had to raise the back pickup to bring back the bite. I love the way its maturing.

Fodera mentioned it takes a month or so for the glue joints, screw attachments, etc. to remove that bound in high residual stresses that occurs in new construction. Playing/vibrations help to remove the bound up stress points a little quicker. This process I assume continues but slows over time. Like my old pre cbs fenders - they do not move one bit no matter what is temp, humidity etc.! They sound very "stress free". This makes sense to me and I use this vibration technique in my day job sometimes to remove residual stresses in weld joints, etc. as an example

Anyone else have this experience?

2. Sounds like the strings being broken in, tbh.

On a molecular level, I can agree that there might be some settling within the first months, but I find it hard to imagine that would cause a noticeable tonal different.

Now, meat and potatoes, we’ll need to see that beauty to really help you out with this. :cool:

3. JPMcGuire

Jul 13, 2008
    Lake Orion, Michigan
    Heres some pics

Attached Files:

4. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    I’ve heard the same thing in a bass, but it was a bass I purchased used so I know it was a matter of my ears becoming accustomed to what was a different sound than my previous bass along with a high likelihood of my technique subtly and unconsciously changing to fit it. Could be happening to you too.

5. MattZilla

MattZilla

Jun 26, 2013
    CNY
    You have a pickup on the back of the bass? Cool!
    /sarc

Anyways, seems very much like strings breaking in.

Aqualung60 and MDBass like this.
  6. JPMcGuire

Jul 13, 2008
    Lake Orion, Michigan
    To test the strings theory I put a new set on. Still has that warmer tone than when I first got it. Not strings

Groove Doctor and TalHaz like this.
  7. JPMcGuire

Jul 13, 2008
    Lake Orion, Michigan
    No pickup on back of bass?

8. cnltb

cnltb

May 28, 2005
    To me that just sounds like new strings going from new to not so new and one getting used to hearing the bass.
    I don't know - It ay also be what you think it is..

That said... I do believe in instruments breaking in.

Last edited: Mar 24, 2019
  9. pedroims

pedroims

Dec 19, 2007
    Michigan
    Interesting, Yamaha has some process in their guitars that suppose to help to “brake them in”

From Yamaha website “...Stress found between parts like finish, woods, body, neck, fingerboard, nut, bridge, etc., must be released before all of the parts can resonate together as an instrument. It takes time and a lot of playing for this to happen. Using IRA technology, stresses like those between the finish and wood are release by applying specific vibrations to the completed guitars. Once this treatment is complete, the guitar responds accurately to the guitarist's performance, and produces sound more easily...”

10. 40Hz

40Hz Supporting Member

Agree. I’ve noticed something similar with almost every bass I ever purchased. And it didn’t need to be (nor was it) with anything near as high end as that beautiful Fodera. I think we all make subtle adjustments to our technique once we get some experience under our belts to bring out the best each of our basses have to offer. :thumbsup:

JPMcGuire likes this.
  11. Basehead

Basehead Now with even more synthy goodness...

Jan 3, 2008
    New York NY
    Yep, all of the basses I've purchased new have changed (thankfully, for the better), including my Fodera.

JPMcGuire likes this.
  12. Carl Hillman

Carl Hillman

Jan 1, 2010
    I would like to see the results of a double blind test of this before I buy into it being an objective, measurable phenomenon.

It's entirely believable to me that an acoustic instrument (like a double bass) undergoes a change in sound over time, but a solid bodied bass? ...and, over only two weeks?

What can I say? I'm a skeptic. Some people also claim to be able to hear the difference in their stereo systems when the speaker cables are suspended off the ground, versus being laid on the floor.

13. cnltb

cnltb

May 28, 2005
    Very Pretty!
    Brazilian rosewood fingerboard?

14. JPMcGuire

Jul 13, 2008
    Lake Orion, Michigan
    Yes. This describes exactly what I’ve experienced in every new build. Some have a subtle change. Some have more change

Garret Graves likes this.
  15. JPMcGuire

Jul 13, 2008
    Lake Orion, Michigan
    Yep

16. cnltb

cnltb

May 28, 2005
    My favourite material for fingerboards!

17. We heard something like this way back in the 70's - our Bassist experimented and put his Semi Acoustic right up against the front of PA Bass Bin for a couple of weeks.

Of course we couldn't quantify it, but we all noticed a change, an evening and mellowing of tone.

JPMcGuire likes this.
  18. Mister Boh

Mister Boh

Oct 23, 2016
    Annapolis, MD
    I've never bought a new bass but definitely noticed it with an acoustic guitar. Glad you're happy with it!

19. Mastodon2

Mastodon2

Feb 27, 2008
    Yamaha's process takes weeks of vibration on a rig to replicate years of being played in, then everything is checked and tightened before the instrument is sold. I'm not sure playing an instrument for a few weeks could have the same effect.

Do instruments bed in? Absolutely. Is the shift dramatic and would it be noticeable in a few weeks? Unlikely, in my opinion. Our ears do attenuate to a particular instrument though. If I play my Warwick Thumb for a few weeks then switch to my Yamaha Attitude LTD II, the Yamaha sounds almost overpoweringly fat and bassy at first. Once I get used to it, it sounds fine and then going back to the Warwick, it sounds nasal and compressed until I get used to it again.

wmmj, packhowitzer, TrustRod and 2 others like this.
  20. dan1952

dan1952 Commercial User

Jun 27, 2012
    Anderson IN
    Artist Endorsement with Supro Huntington Basses / Owner, Dan's Music, Inc..
    I think it's the result of the bass being initially traumatized at having to go to a new home, and getting used to its new owner after which it calmed down. Feelings. Nothing more than feelings.

Last edited: Mar 24, 2019