1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

New Gallien Krueger MB 210 & MB 115

Discussion in 'Amps, Mics & Pickups [DB]' started by thejumpcat, Mar 22, 2009.

1. thejumpcat

thejumpcat thejumpcat

Sep 30, 2007
    metro-Detroit
    Any word on these yet?

2. Gary Lynch

Gary Lynch

Nov 18, 2008
    Sonoita AZ
    Peng likes this.
  3. aproud1

aproud1 Don't surround yourself with yourself. Supporting Member

Aug 13, 2007
    Cincy, OH
    Posted in another thread about this. Tried the 210 and the 115 at GC today. The 210 sounded good but the 115 just sounded amazing. Very very impressed as was everyone near the bass room especially after they picked it up. We did a side by side with settings the same and then tweaked with several 4 and 5 string basses. We all agreed there was something special about the 115. Didn't get to try the 212 as they don't have one.

When I can unload some gear there will be a 115 in my future.

4. Gary Lynch

Gary Lynch

Nov 18, 2008
    Sonoita AZ
    Has any DB player out there tried the new GK MB210 or MB115? I am wondering if these will quickly replace the old standard MB112?

5. Check this link out, from the BG Amps forum. A good review for the 115 by a doubler. He said that since it's a sealed cab, like the MB150 & venerable Ampeg B-15, it's a very tight sounding 15. This fellow's thoughts are worth checking out, as he bought his for his upright.

As soon as my local GC gets one of them in I'll drag my Shen in and give it a test-fire... as of now they only have the 210, and I want to check them both out when I bring the DB down.

6. MIJ-VI

MIJ-VI Banned Supporting Member

Jan 12, 2009
    The MB115 and MB210 are ported: post #294: http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=528864&page=15

7. Indeed, I saw Bob Gallien's response to the matter. I was erroneously informed about this, apparently, but that's ok. As long as they sound as good as described, I'm not terribly concerned about it!

8. MIJ-VI

MIJ-VI Banned Supporting Member

Jan 12, 2009
    ^ :bassist: :)

9. Gary Lynch

Gary Lynch

Nov 18, 2008
    Sonoita AZ
    I just ordered the MB 210. Got 15% off plus free shipping at Musicans Friend........reviews when it arrives.

10. Great news, Gary... let us know how it sounds with your DB!

11. B String

B String Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2002
    Los Angeles
    The B15's weren't sealed. The early ones ported around the
    speaker. The later (late 60's early 70's) were ported at the
    bottom.

12. robgrow

robgrow Supporting Member

May 1, 2004
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    I checked out a new GK MB 210 this week at GC. It's huge compared to a GK MB150, or even a Markbass CMD 121P, which I thought sounded quite a bit better than the MB 210.

13. Gary Lynch

Gary Lynch

Nov 18, 2008
    Sonoita AZ
    The new GK MB 210 combo has proven to be a great bargain. I paid $480 to the door with my discounts. And since I play a DB, ABG and slab thru it, it does fine all things considered. I have to realistically consider what I make $ at gigs I play and the weight of the amp and all that. There are better sounding units out there but for what I paid and what it does, it's a winner. As long as it holds up I scored.

14. GRAHAM SG1

GRAHAM SG1

May 3, 2010
    I have had my GK MB210 a week now and wow, brilliant amp, perfect for my band .
    I previously had a Marshall MB4210 (my first bass amp after recently taking up bass after many years on guitar) and found it to be totally inadequate power-wise for my band, it had to be on full power all the time to be heard and then the guitarist easily drowned it (this was the second identical Marshall I had as the first one went back for the same reason but we thought it was faulty, obviously not very powerful amps IMO). he has a Traynor 30 Watt amp !!
    The dealer, DV27, took it back and I bought the GK MB210 from them at a good price, good service guys .
    I cant believe how much more powerful the GK is and the weight is unbelievable, I can pick it up with two fingers .

Delighted

15. kirkm24

kirkm24

Jan 1, 2007
    Columbus, Ohio
    I got the MB115 and I really like it a lot. I have an Engelhardt C1 with a Full Circle pickup and I was able to plug the bass straight in with no preamp and I got a very full and strong input signal. The sound really isn't very boomy - especially for a 1x15. The sound is tight and focused but not nasally.

I bought a Markbass 1x12 combo and tried it up against this amp and I thought the GK sounded much better on the upright, plus I had to use a preamp on the Markbass to get a strong input signal.

Overall, for the price of $350 and being a doubler, I think this is an excellent amp for DB (and electric).

16. Thanks - great to see another good review from a DB player!

17. Gearhead43

Gearhead43

Nov 25, 2007
    NorCal
    I have had a MB115 also for a while now and it sounds great for upright bass. I use an HPF-Pre for the phase switch and HPF, but my bass sounds great even without the pre.

I was also pleasantly surprised at how clear and focused this combo is for a 15 - and it's not boutique priced either.

I have found it usefull for doubling also.

18. I can conceive of one of these things in my future somehow...

19. Rocky

Rocky Banned

Jul 21, 2000
    Los Angeles
    I just purchased a new MB115 from Guitar Center today, and I am quite pleased so far. I usually practice around three to four hours per day, and I felt it would be better to find a small practice amp as I didn't want to keep using my board and monitors or my B1500 and 410 cab to practice every day. I also was looking to find a light weight amp for smaller bar gigs.
    I did some research on the internet, but I did not find very many reviews on this amp as it is fairly new so I decided to buy this at Guitar Center to take advantage of the 30 money back policy if I do not like it. I have had some various GK products in the past, and I have always found them to be fairly good, but nothing like some of the high end gear I have had in the past. At this point I should point out that I prefer old school bass sound. I attempt to support the song with solid, fat simple grooves that make you want to dance. I play mostly blues, blues rock, fingerstyle funk, country, latin, but I digress.
    When I first brought the amp home I opened the box, and was very pleased with the excellent packaging that the amp was afforded. It was well protected, but not a big pain in the A** to get too, and I had it plugged in and ready to go in no time. All of the controls were turned down to minimum, and all switches (contour, limiter, horn switch, power) were in the off position. I looked over the construction, and found the amp to be very well put together. All the tolex covering seams were well seated with no glue overflow or bumps anywhere. The corner cover (plastic) were well placed and flush with all surfaces. The front grill (plastic) was secure. I plugged in my bass (Fender CS 64 J-bass both volume controls full, tone full),and turned on the power adjusting all tone controls to 12 o'clock as suggested by the manual. I then turned the gain to 10 o'clock, the boost to zero, and the master volume to 9 o'clock. The amp had a nice clean sound that was usable right from the start, but not very loud. Next I switched on the contour button, and that gave me more of a mid scooped sound, but not muddy at all. I liked this tone and decided to start pumping some volume so I advanced the gain to around 12 o'clock, and the master to around 12. Now we are talking! I played around with different volume settings, and discovered a few interesting things. 1) I will have to play some gigs to be sure, but it appears this amp can cover small to medium size rooms ( the 400 RB was 200 watts so why not)? 2) higher gain settings with lower master volume settings seems to be a fatter sound than lower gain with higher master volume settings. 3) the limiter seems to work well and did not have any noticeable effect that made me want to turn it off.
    I did not tweak the tone controls at all during my initial session with this amp. I liked the sound with the contour IN, tone controls at 12 o'clock, limiter in, gain at 2 o'clock and master at around 10. the horn was turned off. I played the amp for around 1 1/2 hours and then decided to take a break. The amp remained cool to the touch. So far so good, and I will continue to post observations as time goes on if anyone is interested. I have a blues gig coming up on June 12th with Jeff Chaz (who likes to play kinda loud for the room) so I will find out if its a keeper at that point.To my ears GK has a certain sound that you either like or do not, but I suppose most amps are like that anyhow. One thing I absolutely love is the weight of this amp. I keep picking it up in disbelief..lol

20. magikmarker

magikmarker

May 14, 2010
    Hi--I'm looking at these amps too and tried an MB115 at GC. A noisy environment! I play a fender precision in a band and long for a low fat thuddy but clear and melodic old-school sound. My budget is $600 tops, I would think, and I'd rather not load in/out a heavy huge pricey Ampeg (my preferred sound, I think). I'm having trouble finding good reviews of the G-K MB series too. Where to look?