Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

new guy with a question

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by tcook, Jul 1, 2005.

1. tcook

tcook

Jul 1, 2005
    Just stumbled across the forum and thought I'd join in.
    I just started to play bass again after 20 years of being a responsible person. I decided that sucked.
    So, I went out and bought a bass, Washborn T24, which actually plays pretty good for a cheaper bass.
    Then of course I needed an amp. I went to the local place and came home with a Ampeg BR2 head, Hartke 210XL, and an Ampeg SVT-15. I was after the Hartke 115B XL, but it was out of stock, so I thought I'd try the Ampeg. I'm not good at waiting.
    Now, I have "should I have waited on the Hartke" blues.
    The Ampeg 15 does sound good paired with the 2 10"s the hartke cab has, but would the Hartke 15 sound better? I have 30 days to decide. I'm just looking for opinions.
    I'm really rusty on bass, so I can't reproduce the sounds I'm after, but I like a crisp bass sound with punch.

2. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    let me first say that i use hartke cabs and have for over ten years (i use some old 4x12" guitar cabs along with a subwoofer) so i am definitely a fan of their speakers.

i think that the sub you got, the ampeg, is probably actually a better choice than the hartke. think of why you get a sub - low freqs. probably biamped somewhere from 100-200 hz. in my experience the hartke speakers didn't cut it down there, the 15's. now that's just my experience, ymmv, but i've played out of ampeg 15's before and i was pretty satisfied with their tone. i think the combination of the 2x10 hartke and the 1x15 ampeg will sound pretty good.

3. I think the ampeg 1x15 is probably better than the hatke, but, if your wanting a crisp bass sound with lots of punch maybe your better with 10's, i find 10's are always going to give a hell of alot more punch than a 15 imo

4. tcook

tcook

Jul 1, 2005
    I'm using the ampeg 15 and the hartke cab with the tens together, so I'm getting the punch. I'm just one of those people that question what they bought after ya get it home especially since I didn't get the hear the Hartke 15.
    It's an obsession.
    It is making more sense that the ampeg 15 will bring out the lows better since it's not an alum. speaker cone.

5. i think you made the right move. i wasn't that impressed with the hartke 15" i played through once.

6. And by the way,.....

Welcome to TalkBass!! If you're like the rest of us,
    you'll find yourself here quite often. It can definitely be
    an addictive place, full of helpful people with PLENTY
    of "real world" experience. Enjoy!

Glad to hear your playing again. We can always use more
    bass players.

7. Tash

Tash

Feb 13, 2005
    Bel Air Maryland
    I will actually voice a dissenting opinion. Ampeg cabs usually lack crispness and definition, its part of their sound and a lot of people like it. But if what you want is clear punchy bass the 115XL cab would be a better choice, especially when you pair it with the 210XL cab.

I would go back to the music store and explain the situation. Return the cab and get a 115XL. You can always return that cab and buy another Ampeg 115 if you want.