1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

new guy

Discussion in 'Welcome Forum - New Member Intros' started by hubb, Apr 3, 2006.

1. hubb

hubb

Apr 2, 2006
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Hello,

My name is Chris, and I'm from Pittsburgh, PA. I have been playing guitar and bass off-and-on for about 10 years or so. Recently a buddy of mine (drummer) wanted to get a band started up, so I offered to play bass. Since at the time I had a tiny practice amp and a cheap starter bass, I decided to start researching Basses and Rigs that would work.

Since i've purchased a Fender J-bass and am researching a rig that would fit for what we're playing(power-pop).

Thanks in advance to the board members for your input and knowledge.

-Chris

2. Lowtonejoe

Lowtonejoe Supporting Member

Jul 3, 2004
    Pasco, WA
    What's your budget and anticipated power range (wattage)?

Do you mind used equipment?

:D

Joe.

3. hubb

hubb

Apr 2, 2006
    Pittsburgh, PA

Joe,

Thanks for the reply. I was hoping to get a head + cab for around 1K. I have been looking at the B2RE and the SVT410HLF.

My wattage requirements are ?????
    . . . . loud enough to play with 1 maybe 2 half stacks and a heavy handed drummer

:confused:

edit: I don't mind used stuff. It just seems that getting a decent deal on used gear is hard to do. I'd rather spend a couple hundo more for a new piece of gear over getting something used at 80% of what a new one costs. . . make sense?

edit again: I forgot to mention that the j-bass I purchased was an active mexican. Not sure if this changes my amp selection. . .

Thanks again!

-Chris

4. Lowtonejoe

Lowtonejoe Supporting Member

Jul 3, 2004
    Pasco, WA
    The Ampeg rig that you mention would probably do you o.k., depending on volume levels. But be aware that the impedance on your cab is 4 ohms. That means that you would not be able to add another cab to your rig.

Another way to go might be a pre/power rig. You get a much heavier watt per dollar ratio with a bit heavier initial cost, depending on your choice of components.

:D

Joe.