1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

New Guy

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by johnbeiser, Mar 18, 2010.

1. johnbeiser

johnbeiser

Mar 18, 2010
    I have been interested in playing the bass for a lot of years. I bought a cheap Ibanez about 10 years ago and never got around to playing it much ( I was in the military). I recently purchased a Squire Vintage Modified Jazz Bass to try and get back into it. I was just wanting to get some opinions on the quality of my decision on a bass and any tips or anything that would help me learn would be appreciated. I am still in need of a decent practice amp so I am gonna go around to the local pawn shops this weekend and see what I can find. Any advice on anything would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.
    JB

2. rmkesler

rmkesler

May 6, 2009
    Winder, GA
    The Squire VM gets a lot of love around here. It should make a fine instrument to learn with. Might want to take it to a tech to get a good set up on it to make the most out of it. Best way to start learning is to get a teacher and start taking lessons. Get out and start playing and have a great time at it. Welcome to the madness.

3. Nothing would discourage a new player more than playing an instrument that was uncomfortable or difficult to use. Start here and start playing. Lessons from an instructor face to face are good as they can help you to not form bad habits. In the mean time, I would start looking up some finger and warm up exercises to build dexterity.

Most importantly: Thank you for your service!

4. johnbeiser

johnbeiser

Mar 18, 2010
    What kind of work would I need to request be done to it to have a good set up on it. There is a Guitar Center in town that I could take it to. Anyone know of any good teachers in Tucson?

5. rmkesler

rmkesler

May 6, 2009
    Winder, GA
    Tell them it needs a "setup" and they should know what you're talking about. (It's Guitar Center. We can hope they do.) Items they should address are the straightness of the neck, string height, pick up height, and intonation.

6. Sounds like you need to be knee to knee with another bassist. First choice is a bass instructor. Second choice, a friend that knows how to play.

Fundamental things like how to tune it, how to hold it, how to sound a string - fingers, thumb, pick or what, how to mute a string have to be learned. Then things like where are the notes on the fretboard. How do I know which notes to use. What do I do to play a song? What's a bass line and how do I make one. You will need 4 or 5 go to bass riffs, who is going to teach you that?

Bunch of stuff you need -- www.studybass.com is a good place to start. An instructor will get you there in half the time it will take you to wade through what is necessary by yourself.

It's not rocket science, but, we all need help right at first.

Good luck.

7. johnbeiser

johnbeiser

Mar 18, 2010
    Can anyone recomend a decent practice amp that isnt too expensive but still sounds good?

8. Stranger Danger

Stranger Danger Feel Like A Stranger Supporting Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Texas
    Hartke makes a good 30 watt practice amp for about $180 I think.

9. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Nov 28, 2020