New Interpol single - Slow Hands

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by oddentity, Sep 23, 2004.

1. oddentity

oddentity Supporting Member

Nov 20, 2000
    Anyone else heard this yet?

I think it's excellent. The cloud of dark reverb is mostly lifted and the rhythm section is tighter than ever.

Also, the CD single has a couple of remixes. The first, by Dan the Automator, didn't really do anything for me, but the second one, by Britt Daniel of Spoon, really blew me away.

The rhythm section -- and especially the bass -- are prominent (in fact, the guitars don't come in until halfway through the song). The bass tone is deep, punchy and gritty at the same time. The drums sound huge, and the rhythm section propels the song forward with only Paul Banks' vocals until the guitar comes in at the second verse. Even then, the bass and drums are still the dominant instruments as guitar and keyboard parts fade in and out. Some artful cutting and pasting turns the end of the song into a tight disco workout. Very, very cool. The CD single is worth having just for this remix. I think I like it better than the album version...
  2. the singer sounds even more like Ian Curtis on the new album.

it's a much better effort than their previous album, which IMO didn't really have any hooks to it.