Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

New "Kydd" In Town!

Discussion in 'Electric Upright Basses (EUB's) [DB]' started by grooveguru, May 10, 2005.

1. grooveguru

grooveguru

Sep 14, 2000
    Central PA
    Just picked up a Kydd Carry-On last night and while I haven't had much time to work with it it's been a blast so far. Anyone else have one or have had one and would like to share your thoughts. I'll have pics and full review after this weekend. It's going to be trail by fire as far as me and no frets so here goes! :hyper:

2. paintandsk8

paintandsk8 Pushin' my soul through the wire...

May 12, 2003
    West Lafayette, IN
    I played one of these a while back. For the scale length, it sounds pretty decent. I thought the electronics had a nice sound too. The 30" scale makes it very playable for those of us who are used to BG.

I remember the tripod stand being somewhat akward. It seemed to be in the way alot, at least more than single leg, or cymbal stand type stands. The one I played seemed to have an open, airy type of tone, not quite enough thump for me.

The build quality was top notch and the tuning at the bridge was quite smooth. But the headless design also limits you quite alot in string selection.

Bottom line: It's a well built bass, but the scale length and ergonomics didn't do it for me.

3. proximityeffect

proximityeffect

May 17, 2005
    Southeast
    I've been playing on a Big Kydd for about 18 months now. They are a lot of fun once you dial in a sound...

4. grooveguru

grooveguru

Sep 14, 2000
    Central PA
    Any suggestions as to how to dial in a sound? Such as bump up the lows, less mids, etc? I'd appreciate the help. I have a sansamp and I was going to try the dub setting.

5. proximityeffect

proximityeffect

May 17, 2005
    Southeast
    I've found you need to roll off the highs to help the sound. I bump up the lows a little as well. However, the sound you're looking for could be different from the sound I want. It's all very personal, and experimenting is half the fun. I use the Fishman Platinum Bass pre.

Of course you work hard on your sound, and the a sound guy pulls direct out of your amp and puts his own eq on it as in my example of http://homepage.mac.com/kevindjones/iMovieTheater4.html. :spit:

6. Eggman

Eggman

Dec 3, 2004
    Denver, Colorado
    Hey Prox - I think your bass sound just fine in that audio track. If the sound guy messed it up - your bass must sound incredible when you eq it.

7. Well, I own a Kydd Carry-On bass (a 5-string) and use one of those Fishman Pro-EQ Platinum Bass pre-amps... killer sound. My only peeve is that it doesn't have that acousting "zing" to it... but I still use it a lot in ballads.