New MAS 16!

Discussion in 'Amps, Mics & Pickups [DB]' started by Eric Hochberg, Jan 28, 2020.

1. Eric Hochberg

Eric Hochberg

Jul 7, 2004
    Chicago
    Just got the word from Mike on Facebook about this new 16 cab. Haven't checked it out yet, but will soon. Here's what he has to say,

"Ok--promised myself that I would not work on any prototypes or new projects until I was caught up.
    But---I was working on a MAS16 and had a thought. I had built an upper Bodai unit to use with a new 6.5" coax and had a thought. Upright players likely can live without the 3" midrange.
    So I put a six in both cabs. (before I did the midrange in the 16)
    Tried them both with upright. I prefer the little one. A bit more open and clearer. If it were me going to a gig---I'd take the little one. I had to eq the bass up just a bit but top volume was about the same.
    You can see the size difference. The little one comes in at 9 1/2#. The bigger one at 14#.
    The litttle 16 will be $495, while the bigger one is $550. Not a big difference in price. The only difference in labor is installing the 3.
    Since I'm trying to get the dough together to buy more drivers and Ice modules---I'm doing a special---$450 until I get enough for those orders.
    Please feel free to share this on Talkbass--it really helps." Mike Arnopol - MAS Speakers

Last edited: Jan 29, 2020
  2. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    Eric - I left FB back in 2016 and usually don't miss it, but occasionally...any chance you could grab a pick of the little 16 and attach it here?

Zbysek likes this.
  3. Eric Hochberg

Eric Hochberg

Jul 7, 2004
    Chicago
    MAS16.jpg

4. Matt Ides

Matt Ides Supporting Member

May 12, 2004
    Minneapolis, MN
    Any idea how much the little 6 will weigh?

5. Michael Drost

Michael Drost Supporting Member

Oct 16, 2009
    Grand Haven, MI
    9 1/2lbs.

6. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    That's crazy! And I gotta say, that little cabinet is cute as hell. Reminds me of the driod "BD-1" from the star wars series.

7. Ric Vice

Ric Vice Supporting Member

Jul 2, 2005
    Olivette, Missouri
    Matt it's right there in Mikes text, but kind of hard to discerne

Tried them both with upright. I prefer the little one. A bit more open and clearer. If it were me going to a gig---I'd take the little one. I had to eq the bass up just a bit but top volume was about the same.
    You can see the size difference. The little one comes in at 9 1/2#. The bigger one at 14#.
    The litttle 16 will be $495, while the bigger one is $550. Not a big difference in price. The only difference in labor is installing the 3.
    Since I'm trying to get the dough together to buy more drivers and Ice modules---I'm doing a special---$450 until I get enough for those orders.
    Please feel free to share this on Talkbass--it really helps." Mike Arnopol - MAS Speakers

Matt Ides likes this.
  8. statsc

statsc Supporting Member

Apr 23, 2010
    Burlington, VT
    See, this is the problem with getting one of Mike’s cabs: he’s always innovating! Now I don’t have the newest and best MAS 16!

Ric Vice and neddyrow like this.
  9. statsc

statsc Supporting Member

Apr 23, 2010
    Burlington, VT
    Mike should definitely push the marketing of these. As the glut of baby boomer bassists ages out of louder gigs and develops back problems, the demand for these will skyrocket!

10. Mike Arnopol

Mike Arnopol Inactive Supporting Member Commercial User

Jan 4, 2005
    Chicago
    Owner of MAS Soundworks
    nah---yours is just as good. This one is just smaller. I had this little thing just sitting in my shop and wondered how it would sound sans mid. It was just designed as a Bodai top for the 46 tower. On upright I didn't miss it at all. On electric I boosted mids and highs a bit. BTW---this is one cab that I recommend sitting on the floor. Since it's the same form as the 18 it's very happy sitting on the angled side as a floor wedge. And even as a floor wedge the sound gets out to the audience no problem. Here's a side shot to give a better idea of the difference in size. 16 b.jpg

11. Mike Arnopol

Jan 4, 2005
    Chicago
    Owner of MAS Soundworks
    also---it'll be 4 weeks wait for delivery as the first few orders will go toward buying a load of Okume plywood. The little one will be all Okume to make that under 10# weight. My other cabs will have Birch outer panels for durability and Okume inner panels for weight. The only problem is that to add a pole mount I'll have to make it 1" wider.

Zbysek, Michael Drost and Ric Vice like this.
  12. Ric Vice

Jul 2, 2005
    Olivette, Missouri
    16 b.jpg Untitled_large.jpg

BD-1 kit viewing a MAS 1/6

13. flatback

flatback

May 6, 2004
    A mini powered version would be so kickin. I really miss my 16 it covered so many of the duo gigs. I had the focus velcroed to the side but I expect a much smaller amp could be a better more demure match.
    Looks great. These speakers are killin

Ric Vice likes this.
  14. Ric Vice

Jul 2, 2005
    Olivette, Missouri
    Totally agreed, but it won't cost $495.00 and it will take Mike longer to build. You could get a BAM 200 for just those occasions. :)

Elias86 and Povl Carstensen like this.
  15. Mike Arnopol

Jan 4, 2005
    Chicago
    Owner of MAS Soundworks
    I've been thinkin'. I could make it an inch deeper and put an amp in. I would use the ICE 250. I really like that amp. Same one that was in the Tecamp Puma 900 and Demeter Mini. I like it a lot better than the Ice 700 I was using. I could actually use the Ice 125, too. The 125 is 250 into 8 and 500 into 4. It wwould be more than enough to drive two 16's. And of course I'd add the HPF module. Just checked the Ice site. Yeah--the 125 would be the ticket. Two inches smaller than the 250 and 1/4" less height.

16. Ric Vice

Jul 2, 2005
    Olivette, Missouri
    As Jimmy Durante once said,"I got a million of em" and I think Mikes gonna be making a "million of em" :D

17. FenderP

FenderP Supporting Member

May 7, 2005
    I just ordered one. Now I need an amp head ;)

18. Mike Arnopol

Jan 4, 2005
    Chicago
    Owner of MAS Soundworks
    try to find a used Tecamp Puma 900 (with fan--early ones didn't have it

edit
    Jake is selling an earlier Puma 500 in the classifieds. This one sounds really nice.
    But if a 900 comes up (which it will) you might want the additional power at some point. They're going for less than $600.

19. FenderP

FenderP Supporting Member

May 7, 2005
    I'll have a look. I really need one with two inputs since I have a mag and a piezo on the Rob Allen. If I just needed one input things would be easier.

20. Mike Arnopol

Jan 4, 2005
    Chicago
    Owner of MAS Soundworks
    Check out of Wayne Jones is still selling his stuff for 50 percent off. The amps are fantastic and he makes a 2 channel amp. I'm getting one of his 2 channel preamps because I use two pesos on my upright

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 27, 2021