Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

New Mattress Problem. Solution?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by jobu3, Feb 13, 2005.

1. jobu3

jobu3 Artist formerly known as Big Joe

Feb 17, 2002
    Mountain Top, PA
    I bought a mattress back in June. It was nice and firm back then but with a pillow top for comfort. It really helped my back quite a bit. I can't remember the type but it a bigger/better name brand. Right now it is saggier than the 15 year old mattress it replaced and I am constantly sore.

Short of sleeping on the floor, putting a piece of plywood down on top, and/or getting a new mattress, is there anything out there that will work to make it firmer? Something like a mattress liner than goes on top?

If I have to get a new one, I will but I won't even be living here after a year to eighteen months and would prefer a cheaper alternative if at all possible.

2. Mike Money

Mike Money Banned

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California
    Avatar Speakers Endorsing Hooligan
    flip it.

3. jobu3

Feb 17, 2002
    Mountain Top, PA
    I do just about every or every other time I change the sheets. :meh:

4. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    It should be under warranty. If you only bought it in June then you should be able to call the company. They'll send a rep who will measure how deep the indentation is and if it's deep enough ot meet "their qualifications" then they will typically replace the mattress.

brad cook

5. jobu3

Feb 17, 2002
    Mountain Top, PA
    I'll have to look into that. I don't know if I still have the receipt or not...

6. Boplicity

Boplicity Supporting Member

I had the exact same thing happen with a very expensive Serta pillow top mattress. After only three months it sagged so much it looked as old as the very old one that preceded it. So we called the furniture company. They sent a "technician' to our house and he amazed us by laying a wooden yardstick over the mattress and measured the indentation with a small ruler.

The indentation was less than three inches, so he wouldn't replace the mattress. Furthermore, he actually told us the pillow top mattresses are designed to indent like that and that they so designed based on research that shows softer mattresses are actually better for the back than firmer ones. Honest. That is what he said.

Worse, we had to PAY for him to come, because we did not take out a special warranty on the mattress when we bought it. The store guarantee is for tearing of fabric, defects such as that, but not "sinking."

You cannot flip a pillow top mattress. The pillow top is only one side. The technician told us to be sure to rotate the matress every three months. We did and that made some difference, but not a lot.

I went to K-Mart and bought a thick foam king size liner to put between the mattress pad and bottom sheet of our bed. That helped a little. If you want firmer, I'm sorry, I don't know how to advise you.

Good luck with your back and faulty mattress. I finally stopped having back problems when I joined a gym and began working out with weights. If I get lazy and don't go, my back problems return within weeks.