Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

New MTD's

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Classical_Thump, Feb 1, 2006.

1. Classical_Thump

Classical_Thump

Jan 26, 2005
    I saw the pictures of the new MTD series from Namm, and they look awesome. Finally something closer to an MTD USA but with a more affordable price. Does anyone know when these will be released, and what their pricing will be (6 strings specficially)? Also, I like to hear any details you guys heard of (specs, styles, etc.). Thanks a lot

2. Vic

Vic There's more music in the nuance than the notes. Gold Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Central Illinois
    Staff, Bass Gear Magazine
    Ehhh, just buy the american model and be done widditt... ;)

3. Actually, my Korean made Saratoga feels and plays better than an MTD 535 I played. The quality is excellent!
    I would buy another Korean MTD in an instant.

4. Akirabanana

Akirabanana

Dec 12, 2005
    Kingston, On
    I saw the pictures as well and I am very interested in them, well at least their looks. Has anyone spoken to Mike about any details?

5. vision

vision It's all about the groove! Supporting Member

Feb 25, 2005
    Ann Arbor, MI
    i emailed Mike about the new basses, here was his response...

I also asked him about 6's, he said that he should have prototypes in April.

6. jkritchey

jkritchey

Jul 23, 2002
    Northern Va.
    Very nice, thanks for sharing that. Anyone heard a price range yet?

7. Vic

Oct 14, 2002
    Central Illinois
    While I don't personally share your first opinion, I definitely share your second. The Korean MTDs are fantastic values and great basses.

8. BigTopBruno

BigTopBruno

Sep 6, 2002
    NJ, USA

????? are you sure?....doesn't seem likely unless the 535 had a bad setup....:confused:

The Zepyrs??? will rock, no doubt...:bassist:

...now I have GAS for a 535....:rollno:

9. Vic

Oct 14, 2002
    Central Illinois
    Yeah, but keep in mind, feel is largely subjective, and the diffs between the USA models and the imports is not just the action. It's also the stuff that may or may not affect tone or asthetics enough for everyone to pay for. Mike's personal attention to wood selection, and all the other stuff you pay for on his "premier" stuff may not be worth it to everyone. Obviously, it is for me, tho. :)

I've played some of the Korean stuff and have been VERY impressed, but it just didn't have that same "seriously alive" feeling both of my USA models have. When the master himself crafts it from scratch and hand selects everything in the process, it's reflected in the final product... big time...

10. Bassist4Life

Bassist4Life

Dec 17, 2004
    Buffalo, NY
    I'm pretty sure that Mike's import basses only come in 4 and 5 string versions. You might have to get a 635 if you want 6. I'm not certain about his new line of imports though.

Joe

11. All I know is that I LOVE my 435........

12. I've never made any plans for purchasing an MTD, but they are definately one of my top 3 favorite looking/sounding basses money can buy. I'd take a sweet MTD over a Fodera or Ritter any day of the week (NO disrespect toward Fodera or Ritter at all, they're stunning looking and sounding basses). There's just something about an MTD that is intoxicating to me. I'd have to go ash body/burl maple top, wenge neck/fretboard.

13. Lo end PUNCH

Lo end PUNCH

Jan 28, 2005
    Racine,Wi
    There WILL be a six!! Heard it from the man himself. The prices from what I was told will be under or about $1500.00 for the six string.

14. Vic

Oct 14, 2002
    Central Illinois
    Yep, check post #5 in this thread.

15. mark beem

mark beem Gold Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2001
    New Hope, Alabama
    w00t!!!!

Wonder if there will be a fretless model?

16. Bassist4Life

Bassist4Life

Dec 17, 2004
    Buffalo, NY
    This is GREAT news! Sorry I skimmed over post #5.

Joe