1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

New mxr bass distortion!

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Patchbass, Jan 22, 2015.

1. Patchbass

Patchbass

Mar 27, 2013
    England
  2. andrew

andrew

May 20, 2000
    Vancouver BC/Pacific Northwest
    Endorsing Artist: Aguilar Amplification, Spector, Regenerate Guitar Works, Tech 21 NYC
    Dammit. Another must try.

RAT based?

vegas532 likes this.
  3. TerribleLiar23

TerribleLiar23 Anti-Scientologist Supporting Member

Oct 11, 2011
    RTP
    Given the diode options and Fuzzrocious' affinity for the Rat, I would think so. Could be wrong, but if it is Rat based, it will be interesting to see how it compares to the Blower Box. Looks pretty neat. There are tons of Rat based pedals, but not many that are bass specific, so I think it fills a nice space.

Unemploid likes this.
  4. i'm disappointed that this is the only pedal new to the bass innovations line, and no new bass wah. hopefully this thing sounds amazing. either way, it's not like i'm going o get it. next on my list is the mxr bass chorus deluxe

gregmon79 likes this.
  5. Lethgar

Lethgar

Jan 22, 2012
    NW Indiana
    I'm going to need a second job this year.

kendobass and sleepyEDB like this.
  6. vegas532

vegas532

Nov 10, 2006
    Pensacola, FL.
    Played it today and I was quite impressed. It's definitely Rat based...and meaty as HELL! It's definitely on my "must have" list!

kendobass, Guinness20, mpdd and 8 others like this.
  7. Patchbass

Patchbass

Mar 27, 2013
    England
    Hmm now that sounds interesting... And I thought I'd almost finished my board :(

8. friendlybass

friendlybass

Jul 19, 2012
    Colorado
    After being let down by one of their di/pre pedals and a chorus I'm curious to see if this one makes it on the board!

kendobass and Lethgar like this.
  9. Crystalman85

Crystalman85

Nov 30, 2008
    Chicago, Il.
    Awesome...looking forward to this pedal to be released. that's pretty cool that it says that mxr has collaborated with fuzzrocious to design this new bass distortion pedal. I'm gonna guess that this pedal might be based on the proco rat like the fuzzrocious rat king.

Last edited: Jan 23, 2015
    kendobass, TheEmptyCell and vegas532 like this.
  10. If its definitely Rat based, I'll almost certainly need to pick one up. Typically, just bought a small footprint Blower Box, could have tried this instead.

What's the general differences between silicone and LEDs?

11. Crystalman85

Crystalman85

Nov 30, 2008
    Chicago, Il.
    That be pretty cool If it's rat based like the fuzzrocious rat king. looking forward to it's release. since you've mentioned the blower box, I was thinking about purchasing this pedal. I do like the heavy sound that it provides. but since I've seen the new mxr bass distortion pedal, I wonder if I should wait for it's release. I don't plan on purchasing a new distortion pedal at this moment. but perhaps sometime later this year after I save some cash for a new amp.

Last edited: Jan 23, 2015
  12. 'If its Rat based' - I'm afraid I don't know! It is looking that way, though

13. Crystalman85

Crystalman85

Nov 30, 2008
    Chicago, Il.
    Oh I misread your post. I thought you said it is rat based. sorry about that. even if it rat based, I'm still interested in hearing how this pedal sounds. also I've noticed from the picture, it has a wet and dry control like the mxr bass fuzz deluxe. I'll bet with those controls, you can get a killer bass distortion sound without obliterating lows.

14. GMC

GMC Supporting Member

Hmm...the dirt pedals from MXR have been a little odd of late. Their knob labeling is a bit random. The Bass Overdrive has a clean knob but it's another bizarre tone control and not a blend control as one would expect. This new distortion pedal seems to be adding more confusion...who needs separate wet and a dry knob? Surely they do the same thing? What's wrong with having a blend control, a bass, treble and drive control. It seems a bizarre layout and counter-intuitive another dirt pedal from MXR.

15. nothing wrong with blend. the reason why the dry and wet are seprated is that if you want more wet you could add more wet without losing the dry. blend knobs are usually, the more wet the less dry and more dry and less what. some pedals that have a blend/mix knob have a second knob to boost the wet. the mxr boost the wet and the dry.

IronLung1986, StayLow and sleepyEDB like this.
  16. JBNeedsBeer

JBNeedsBeer Supporting Member

May 13, 2011
    New Brunswick, NJ
    I actually greatly prefer the format of separate level controls for the Wet and Dry. It just feels more natural to me after having spent so much time with my TAFM and Oxide before it.

17. TerribleLiar23

TerribleLiar23 Anti-Scientologist Supporting Member

Oct 11, 2011
    RTP
    Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but its basically the difference between a Rat and a Turbo Rat.

vegas532 likes this.
  18. bassmusic17

bassmusic17

Jan 15, 2011
    Seems like if it was a rat it would just be adding unwanted competition to the RK/RT. I mean I'm sure Ryan is getting a percentage but still.

Kinda hoping it would be a different type of distortion but it doesn't look like it.

19. vegas532

vegas532

Nov 10, 2006
    Pensacola, FL.
    Silicon - more aggressive and compressed
    LED - more wide open drive

In Rat terms:
    Silicon - Classic
    LED - Turbo
    ;)

20. I was just considering an OFD specifically to get a new rat sound with a blend built in. I already have a big box vintage and rat2 with ruetz mod. I've never found anything that's quite as good an original white face that a friend of mine had though. Even that needed a blend. If this is rat based and gets "the sound" in an mxr box with a built in blend... I'm so in

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Feb 28, 2021