New MXR Micro Chorus M148 - REVIEW....

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by afroman, Mar 17, 2010.

1. afroman

afroman

Aug 31, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Just got one of the new re-issue MXR Micro Chorus pedals.

Construction
    Very heavy-duty construction like the old Phase 90s. It's fairly heavy compared to my Carbon Copy and Bass Octave Deluxe. Has only a Rate knob and comes with the boot knob cover. Bypass is noiseless and smooth.

Sound
    Even with the knob fully counter clockwise, there is a subtle chorus effect. The chorus goes from subtle and warm to fast and watery after passing the Noon setting. Fully clockwise the chorus is very fast and hast sort of that ring/tremolo effect.

Overall it's a very warm and nice chorus.
    No bass loss that I could perceive.

Cons
    It does have a little jump in volume when the pedal is engaged. I don't remember this happing with my Hardwire Chorus. The Hardwire did have a Volume knob, so I think I compensated for any boost that could occur. The Micro could have used an internal trimpot for gain or mix.

Overall
    Very nice quality as all other MXR pedals I own.
    I sold my Hardwire Chorus because I wanted something smaller and I only used the "Analog" setting. This MXR is very nice sounding but it is a present chorus. It will be noticed even in the lower settings, which I think is a good thing. I tried it with my Barge VP-Jr looper and I could control the Dry/Chorus sound better, but I like the simplicity of just controlling the effect pedal itself.

Heres a pic of my MXR trio...

Attached Files:

2. Sound Chaser

Sound Chaser

Mar 19, 2005
    Lockport, NY
    Sound clips?

3. afroman

afroman

Aug 31, 2000
    Austin, TX
    I'll try to record a video with my digital camera later.
    Don't know how it'll work, but I'll try.

4. Nerotic

Nerotic Guest

Sep 17, 2008
    Cool little trio you've got there..

Am I the only one missing a depth knob on the chorus?

5. afroman

afroman

Aug 31, 2000
    Austin, TX
    I think we could wish for more knobs, but the pedal is just a simpler version of a great chorus pedal.

Do I wish it had internal mix and depth knobs?? SURE!

6. DLM

DLM

May 25, 2004
    California
    Anyone else have thoughts on the MXR Micro Chorus?

7. zombywoof5050

zombywoof5050

Dec 20, 2001
    I had GC order me one, because they didn't have a demo for me to try out. Unfortunately, I ended up returning it because I didn't care for it. It seemed to have a slight volume boost when engaged that I didn't like, and I also decided it was too limited (not tweakable enough) for what I wanted. I have an old 'pink-label' Boss CH-1 that sounds much better to me, so I'm just sticking with it for now. I even decided that I prefer this old CH-1 over my EBS UniChorus. All my recent comparisons of these 3 pedals were in mono mode, since I don't go stereo when playing live. But don't take my word for it, try out a Micro Chorus for yourself, you may just love it.

8. Driven Crane

Driven Crane

May 30, 2014
    i got it!

9. Jo Bass

Jo Bass

Feb 25, 2017
    With just one knob it`s so simple but great sounding chorus on bass!
    Here is my demo,hope you like it :)

Crystalman85 and oysteivi like this.
  10. Crystalman85

Crystalman85

Nov 30, 2008
    Chicago, Il.
    Sounds pretty cool for a simple to use chorus pedal. I once owned an mxr micro flanger. it was a cool sounding flanger pedal. you can easily get a jet flanging sound with this pedal.

11. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 14, 2021