1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

New pedalboard - lost my OD tone?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Queg, May 19, 2011.

1. Queg

Queg

Nov 20, 2009
    SF Bay Area
    Newbie question here.
    I've been using a few pedals that, due to lack of patch cables and pedal board, I would just unplug/replug depending on the song. I recently built and cabled a pedalboard.. but something went wrong - the previously raw, punchy, edgy tone of my Rusty Box OD is now somewhat anemic and muddy.

3 things have changed:
    - Recent tone cap swap in my (passive) bass, clean tone with treble up wasn't affected much, so I don't think that's the culprit.

- More patch cables in the signal path (primarily Lava solderless)

- Pedals that were previously not in the signal path are now always plugged in - Octamizer is in before the Rusty Box, BF-2 Flanger, Bad Monkey, Source Audio BEF after..

I suppose I just need to do my homework and isolate each component one at at time.. but was wondering if this is a common issue with pedal effects?

2. Floyd Eye

Floyd Eye Banned

Feb 21, 2010
    St. Louis
    I think you answered your own question. Isolate them and see if it helps. Also search here for the many "Effects order" threads. One thing I can say is that solderless plugs are generally unreliable.

3. Testing_123

Testing_123

Jan 23, 2011
    WMass, USA
    Impedance in action, I suspect. To answer your question: yes -- weird, unexpected interactions can definitely occur when combining multiple effects in a chain. The number of effects may impact this, as can the order of effects.

Every link in the chain will likely have some effect on what follows. The art of pedal ordering is to maximize the positive impact of each link while minimizing undesirable signal degradation.

You're on the right track: start by pulling one effect out at a time and sampling the tone. You might start with pulling the Octamizer out of the equation, so the Rusty Box "sees" the bass signal directly.

If you can, try to record short sections of you playing through each iteration of the pedal chain, then play those sections back to yourself -- it might be easier to compare/contrast the sonic effects as individual components are subtracted.

4. GHI

GHI

May 27, 2008
    Norway
    Yeah try isolating everything.

It could be you are experiencing tonesuck. And it could be your bad monkey causing it. I would give it a shot without it in the chain, and maybe with the flanger at the end.

5. The Mouse

The Mouse

Jun 2, 2009
    Ireland
  6. ga_edwards

ga_edwards

Sep 8, 2000
    UK, Essex
    Perhaps a dumb question, but it's easily done (I know I've done worse*) but you have plugged the patch cable into the 'amp' output of the Bad Monkey and not the speaker simulated 'mixer' output?

* my speakon cable is uni-directional so I've labelled on end 'amp'a and one end 'cab'. I've still plugged it in the wrong way numerous times and sat there trying to work out why there's no sound!

7. Queg

Queg

Nov 20, 2009
    SF Bay Area
    Thanks for all the helpful replies!
    I haven't had a chance to troubleshoot it yet, but I've got a gig this evening, hopefully I can resolve it before soundcheck.

8. I think your new board is affecting the tone... It's all in the wood man

9. sidez81

sidez81

Mar 16, 2011
    QLD, Australia
    Funny this happins in reverse too... I set up my pedalboard and things sounded better lol

10. Queg

Queg

Nov 20, 2009
    SF Bay Area
    Lol. Come to think of it, I did build it with leftover 1/2" Arauco ply from my fEarful cab, perhaps same wood tone is too much synergy?

P1020576.
    P1020575.
    fEarful156tube.

11. uh oh.. synergy. now we're getting into corporate mumbo jumbo

12. Queg

Queg

Nov 20, 2009
    SF Bay Area
  13. TheMutt

TheMutt Guest

Apr 28, 2007
    My guess is that your Rusty Box isn't liking the impedance-changing buffered bypass of pedals before/after it in the chain. Also, I may be completely off in my recollection, but I could swear I read somewhere that the Rusty Box likes to be at the front of the chain. However, having never owned one or played with one, I could definitely be wrong.

14. Queg

Queg

Nov 20, 2009
    SF Bay Area
    I think you've got it right.
    Seems the tuner and Tonehammer (essentially an OBP preamp in a pedal) is okay in front of the Rusty Box,, but any other pedal and it responds badly.

15. behndy

behndy Banned

Nov 1, 2008
    California
    hur. i run a veritable butt-load of efx, always with my Rusty at the end of the chain. it's my post-efx DI for FOH stuff, so it kinda needs to be there.

i also have an Octamizer in my chain, no problems. i hear no difference with the Rusty running solo vs running with other efx in front of it.

how are you powering everything? almost every time i've had something funky come up (tone suck, pedal acting weird, odd interference being picked up) it's because i've had things in a daisy chain that don't like being chained together.

i'd give a look at your powering situation too.

good luck!