1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

New Pickup Advice

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Zangetsu, Sep 14, 2008.

1. Zangetsu

Zangetsu

Sep 14, 2008
    Hello all, I'm new around these parts, love the forums. Was hoping someone could help me out with choosing new pickups for my bass.

http://www.thomann.de/ie/esp_ltd_b50blk.htm

I play an ESP LTD B-50 through a Marshall MB4410 and was considering upgrading my bass but the ESP is just to hard to let go of so I've decided to give it a makeover. I haven't really got a clue about bass parts and pups, dunno where to start.

The music we play is a mash of muse/kyuss/klaxons so I'm looking for a huge deep room bending sound. Is there any pickups that might help me achieve that?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Also, are there any other components on the bass I could upgrade to make it a lil better?

2. Fretlessboy

Fretlessboy

Nov 29, 2007
    St Augustine Florida
    Endorsing artist GENZ BENZ/HERCULES STANDS/XSonics
    What's wronge with the sound of it? What do you want it to sound like?

3. I would see if you can try out a few basses with different brand pickups on (EMG/Seymour Duncan etc.) and see which ones give you the exact kind of sound you want. Also I'd replace the bridge and nut, that would probably make a positive difference.

4. fullrangebass

fullrangebass

May 7, 2005
    Europe
    IMHO strings and pickups provide a phenomenal difference comapred with the one provided by changing the nut and bridge

5. Energy

Energy

Jun 20, 2006
    Germany
    I'm not sure about the bridge, but to swap a plastic nut for a bone nut definitely is a step forward.

concerning pickups, I second Frettlessboy's post: try to describe the sound you want.

6. Zangetsu

Zangetsu

Sep 14, 2008
    Well as I said the music we play of muse/kyuss/klaxons so anything along the lines of the huge, warm, fuzzy, defined low frequancies Chris Wolstenholme seems to pop out on every song...

Think of a tractor...

7. Energy

Energy

Jun 20, 2006
    Germany
    Alright. To get a bigger low end you can start by varying the pickup hight. Bring the pickup(s) closer to the strings and you will get a thicker sound. If adjusting the pickup hight doesn't help, you can think about getting new pickups. Try the S.D. Quarterpounders.