Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

New pickup -- 'Pick Up The World'

Discussion in 'Amps, Mics & Pickups [DB]' started by godoze, Feb 11, 2005.

1. godoze

godoze

Oct 21, 2002
    Just got my Pick Up The World from Chasarms...

I am going to use it tomorrow night in conjunction with my AMT mic....

will have some feedback(written) on sunday.

2. Sorry to go off your topic Don, but I've been trying to get in touch with the people at PUTW for the last couple of weeks. No one every answers the phone. Has any one actually talked to them in recently?

3. Right after I got my PUTW, I got an AMT mic. I liked the PUTW, but the AMT alone is so f***ing good, I believe a pickup would be pointless. I know it's a matter of taste.

4. I totally agree with you Don. The AMT S25B alone is so good that I can't imagine the need for mixing it with any kind of pickup. However, there are times where using the the AMT is not practical. Those are the times I use the PUTW pickup alone. I use both with an AI Contra series I amp.

5. Marcus Johnson

Marcus Johnson

Nov 28, 2001
    Maui
    Hehe...they are pretty great, aren't they?

6. Chasarms

Chasarms Casual Observer

May 24, 2001
    Bettendorf, IA USA
    I really liked the way the PUTW sounded pizz. I personally thought that it smoked both of the K&Ks that I have tried.

I just never really warmed up to the arco tone. Fortunately, I'm spending more and more time with the stick. It looks like I may be sitting on my first regular, frequent DB gig. It's about 50/50, so I think all mic is the way to go.

I bought an audix hypercariod that is hightly praised, for my first attempt at the only mic thing. It is a Micro-D. All the specs and reviews suggest I should get a pretty realistic sound out of it.

I am guessing I'll ultimately end up with an AMT, but I think I'll keep experimenting for a while.

As for the AMT and you guys that bow, do you ever hit the mic rigging with your stick?

7. godoze

godoze

Oct 21, 2002
    Chas. I haven't had a problem bowing with the AMT- just depends on where you put it.

SO...the Saturday night gig... I set up my GK with the Solstice and The AMT along with the PUTW.

I am plugging everything in during set up and i go to the front of the amp and hit the switch...BRIGHT BLUE SPARKS appear from the front of the GK...

Everything is fried. THe Amp. The AMT. The PUTW.

Not the best way to start a concert .

I played through an SM58 that i kept bumping into...

I got through my set- it was short luckily.

During the Jam session I played a 5 string Pollman thru a huge stack with some unkown pickup and i was definitely heard. Also played a Kay with a BP 100 on it.

after this experience I'm thinking of going with the Kay and Fishman.

oy ! I'm glad it's over .

now i am completely electronicd-free....

8. Chasarms

Chasarms Casual Observer

May 24, 2001
    Bettendorf, IA USA
    That's discouraging.

9. Amplified arco is a crime against humanity and should not be permitted unless you're talking the last note of a tune.
    My mic clamp is at the bottom of the upper bout, mic hanging in front of the top loop of the F hole. No clearance problem.

10. That's sick. Was the house power supply not grounded? I'm wondering if someone doesn't owe you alot of money for this.

11. Chasarms

Chasarms Casual Observer

May 24, 2001
    Bettendorf, IA USA
    Amplified is terms of using and PU and/or a portable bass amplifier (in as much as they are portable)

Or are you saying that arco bass should not be subject to sound reinforcement of any form? Is even the AMT into a PA taboo?

12. What I mean is,
    1. Whatever a pickup and amp do to distort natural tone playing pizz, arco is moreso.
    2. With a bow, I can usually get the needed volume without an amp. And if it's not loud enough, f**k everybody, I don't care.
    Hey, I'm old; one of my few remaining pleasures is being cranky.

13. Chasarms

Chasarms Casual Observer

May 24, 2001
    Bettendorf, IA USA
    You don't type old. :cool:

Actually, your opinion tends to match my reality. It's not as if I am soloing at Madison Square Garden.

I played an oversized 1,300 seat venue during the holidays (All arco, 30 or so piece orchesta and I was the only bass) and they wanted the PU into a DI for it. It was nasty.

Otherwise, the limited arco stuff I have done has been either with other bassists in an orchestra or 200-seat and smaller places alone. I have been fine unamplified.

14. Aleph5

Aleph5

Feb 24, 2004
    Tennessee
    ALL THAT was fried?!? If the PUTW didn't have any electronics, I'm not sure I believe. If it did, then there must have been a high voltage applied to the inputs.

Were the inputs first going to the Solstice or was it in the effects loop? If it was first stage, then could the GK really have fried inputs plugged into the Solstice?

Anyway, I'd really be pissed.

15. Monte

Monte

Jan 9, 2001
    New Albany, MS
    I get very good results arco with the Schertler Dyn B. In fact, I think it is better arco than pizz at times.

The large church orchestra that I play in has configuration problems that often make a mic on a pole hard to use. Our very good soundman loves the Schertler and I have to admit that through the choir monitors that I hear, it is every bit as good as a mic.

Monte

16. godoze

godoze

Oct 21, 2002
    As it turns out the place was recently flooded and there are "electrical issues."

The place has no money for compensation.

Now, I am in the position of finding a new DB amp. Anyone know of a head that has two mixable channels ? I'm in the "starting over " position now...

Should I forget about a mixer and go one channel with a new AMT or should i go back to the original setup ? Opinions ?

17. AMJBASS

AMJBASS Supporting Member

Jan 8, 2002
    Ontario, Canada
    Hey Don, have you seen the new Ampeg Portabass 800? It looks pretty sweet! 2 channels and lots of power in a really light and compact head. I was seriously thinking about getting it at one time, but I am very happy with my setup right now. Turns out the AMT is all I need for any gig now. Awesome sounding mic.

18. godoze

godoze

Oct 21, 2002

I have started looking at Ampeg but did not know that it is a 2 channel head.

19. Farin

Farin

Oct 19, 2004
    Akron, Ohio
    Hey where would you buy this pickup? and How is it installed. Im kinda interested.