1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

New! Pirastro Perpetual Double Bass strings

Discussion in 'Strings [DB]' started by luisraulmunoz, Jun 6, 2019.

1. Seanto

Seanto

Dec 29, 2005
    USA
    Same. My Spiro mediums sound like a punch in the face right now. Also, congrats on post #1000 in the Perp thread!

16fuss and Don Kasper like this.
  2. TroyK

TroyK Moderator Staff Member

Mar 14, 2003
    Seattle, WA
    Having experimented beyond what any reasonable person should have with strings...

You can't really compare string by mixing them on your bass. The tension of the Spirocores would have an effect on the Perps next to them.

Selim, 16fuss, lrhbass and 1 other person like this.
  3. Don Kasper

Don Kasper Supporting Member

What? Of course you can compare a mixed set.
    Yes -The Spiro Mittel E/C is 12% more "tense" that the equivalent Perp E/C. (38.0 kg vs. 33 kg)
    But - The Perp A, D, and G sounded essentially the same (on my bass) whether the E/C was a Spiro or a Perp.
    My Spiro Mittel E/C sounds consistently awesome, underneath a variety and combinations of A, D, & G's. The A, D, and G's seem virtually unaffected by the brand of E/C.
    IME.
    I'd need to see some Actual Proof to be convinced otherwise.
    I guess your mileage may be variable.
    Thanks.

4. Seanto

Seanto

Dec 29, 2005
    USA
    Good point, and i am sure a full set switch would had yielded different results for better or worse.

16fuss likes this.
  5. TroyK

Mar 14, 2003
    Seattle, WA
    Not sure what I have for you I have for you in the way of evidence.

I tune the afterlengths on my bass and when they're in tune, everything works better, wolfe tones are gone, etc.

I've had E-D from one set with G from a different set, everything dialed in. When I try the D from the set that the G came out of, both the G and the A go out of phase and they sound and feel different than before.

I've not liked a set of strings, but liked one sting of them, so I've tried it with a different set, sometimes it's magic and sometimes none of it works.

I posit that the D and G Spirocores were enough heavier than the Perp E and A that they weren't themselves.

But, I can't prove it to you, hell, I can't even convince myself, but it sounds about right.

Perp E&A with something like Obligato D & G might work. Perp G with Jazzer or Helicore Hybrid E - D maybe. I'm not sure what would work below Spirocores Mittle D & G... that's a tough pairing.

I don't know, take it for what it's worth.

Don Kasper likes this.
  6. Selim

Selim Supporting Member

Jun 2, 2008
    New York City
    All I know is, my old Spiro mitt E works with pretty much everything — it has changed the sound and feel of the other 3 — always for the better, no matter what the other 3 are (that includes the 3 Perps).

I have swapped out that Spiro too many times to remember, and I always end up putting it back on. Always!

leonard, TroyK and 16fuss like this.
  7. TroyK

Mar 14, 2003
    Seattle, WA
    No doubt. A Spirocore E goes with pretty much anything. It's like Tobasco sauce.

Selim and 16fuss like this.
  8. Selim

Selim Supporting Member

Jun 2, 2008
    New York City
    Right. And I'm not telling anybody anything new, of course.

16fuss likes this.
  9. Hi! I just made a video review of the Perpetuals (with comparison to Spiro light). If you like, check it out:

10. TomB

TomB Supporting Member

Aug 24, 2007
    Vermont
    That was great, thanks! I get the sense from these A/B’s that the Perps emphasize the low-mids a bit more and the Spiros the high-mids and highs, tho both are balanced. Is that fair to say?

hervejeanne likes this.
  11. Forgive me for asking a very technical question, but were you using the S42 or 3885 Weichs?

I think both the Perpetuals and the Spirocores sounded great but I actually really enjoyed the arco sound of the Spirocores, despite their reputation for being a difficult arco string.

hervejeanne likes this.
  12. Jason Hollar

Jason Hollar Progressively Louder and Funkier Supporting Member

Apr 17, 2005
    Central Pa
    I really liked the sound of the Perps in the video and their low-mid type warmer tone. They sound like broken in Spiros lol. Question is ... how’s the longevity looking on the Perps? I’ve come to highly value a string life that is measured in decades ...

hervejeanne likes this.
  13. threetone

threetone

Sep 27, 2011
    Europe
    Thanks for the great video @hervejeanne .

I likes both sets, very nice sounding bass you have there.
    I noticed the same thing as @PBandJazzBass ; arco on the weich really stood out and sounded great.

Very nice air-y-ness on the perps, however , the E string sound is a huge letdown for me.

tnx.

14. Barcza

Barcza

May 1, 2005
    Budapest
    Thanks for the video (and all the strings samples you made). I hear the same differences, on the video what you say!

hervejeanne likes this.
  15. Selim

Selim Supporting Member

Jun 2, 2008
    New York City
    Herve’s video made me realize why I reached the opinion that Perps lacked oomph back when I tried them out: they do in fact have a similar tension as Spiro weichs s42. I was using mittels as a reference so of course the Perps (and Sweichs too, for that matter) have less depth.

I did like how the Perps speak tho. As Herve also pointed out, they speak with a nice open sound.

Jason Hollar likes this.
  16. Yes absolutely!

17. On the package it says 3885 OW. I didn't know there are different models. What's the difference? EDIT: I just found out that S42 is for 4/4 basses, right?
    And concerning arco: I am not an experienced arco player, so maybe this recording isn't too representative. But what I can say is that I didn't find the Perps easier to play arco than the Spiros - but quite similar.

18. The 3885W is slightly heavier than the S42W set. The S42W set is more widely available in the US, and is the default light gauge set unless you specify 3885W.

As for the Perpetuals, I find them to be more flexible, a bit easier to bow, and a little warmer on the higher strings with more growl and less tension on the low E. I like both Perps and Spiros for different reasons.

PBandJazzBass and Jason Hollar like this.
  19. Steve Boisen

Steve Boisen Your first second choice™ Supporting Member

Dec 3, 2003
    Tampa Bay, FL
    I like the feel of the Perpetuals better than the Spirocore 3/4 Lights they relaced. The Spiros always felt tight and wiry under my left hand, especially the G. Maybe the 4/4 Lights are closer, but for now I'm sticking with Perpetual.

- Steve

lurk and Jason Hollar like this.

20. Thank you for answering and yes, the S42's are for 7/8 and 4/4 basses whereas the 3885's are specifically for 3/4. As @DaveAceofBass said the S42 variant are the most common in the U.S. and, even though they're meant for larger instruments, are frequently used by individuals with 3/4 basses.

The 3885 Weichs are actually my favorite of all the Spiricore variants and, if I ever go back to Spiro's, they're the ones I'd probably go back to. I actually wish more retailers in the U.S. stocked them. (And your arco work sounds great!)

I liked the Perpetuals and if Pirastro ever makes a heavy (stark) set I'll definitely give them another try.

Sam Dingle likes this.