New player what should I put on fretboard

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Noslop1, Sep 22, 2017.

1. Turnaround

Turnaround Commercial User

May 6, 2004
    Toronto Canada
    Independent Instrument Technician
    The distributor for Gerlitz Guitar Honey has confirmed that it is just mineral oil. You can read about it here:
    Gerlitz Guitar Honey

2. bucephylus

bucephylus Supporting Member

Aug 18, 2002
    "Just mineral oil."

Here is the actual information in the thread you mentioned:
    "Without giving away our formula, I can tell you that 'Guitar Honey' is a mineral oil based formula, which is blended with a very high grade of mineral spirits (for cleansing) along with other proprietary ingredients which give a smooth (not greasy) feel & finish to an instrument's fingerboard."

In any case, I'm sure mineral oil will work just fine. I happened to pick up my bottle of Guitar Honey for $8 while I was standing around shooting the bull at our local shop in the mid 90's. Don't really feel like I've been ripped off, and not really an issue for me either way. Just what I use, and it works.

3. Turnaround

May 6, 2004
    Toronto Canada
    Not sure where the part "Without giving away..." came from. It doesn't appear to be part of the response from the distributor and the Gerlitz website doesn't seem to exist anymore. Ah well, small matter - it's mostly mineral oil anyway just like so many other fingerboard products.

Interestingly, I just found another "super" oil for fingerboards that costs $48 for a 2 oz. bottle. MSDS on it shows it's also just mineral oil.

4. bucephylus

bucephylus Supporting Member

Aug 18, 2002
    Why do you ascribe such credibility to the statement by a product distributor regarding a product formulation, which is unlikely to be disclosed by the manufacturer, irrespective of actual content one way or the other? Just curious.

In any case, I'm still not sweating my 1995 $8.

5. Turnaround

May 6, 2004
    Toronto Canada
    I'm not assigning more credibility to the distributor, I just can't find anything from the manufacturer. The quotation from the supposed website can't be substantiated, so the supposed word from the distributor is as good as the supposed information from the manufacturer. And they both say it's based on mineral oil.

6. dropDADG

dropDADG

Sep 23, 2017
    I like hemp or lemon oil to clean and keep the neck wood hydrated

7. I like using Formby's "lemon" oil to clean followed by BLO. Works great!

8. craigie

craigie

Nov 11, 2015
    calgary
    What to put on the fretboard?

Your fingers! :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:;);):laugh:

Welcome to TB!

9. Reedt2000

Reedt2000 Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2017
    Central New Jersey
    OP is brand new, no info, only has two posts and they are near exactly the same, has not chimed back in...

Feeling like we've been trolled

Lobster11 likes this.
  10. Turnaround

May 6, 2004
    Toronto Canada
    Neither does anything to "hydrate" the wood. To hydrate it is to add water moisture. Oils won't do that, they sit on top of the wood. Proper treatment for a dry board is to hydrate it then coat it with something that inhibits transpiration of the water.

11. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 28, 2021