New player what should I put on fretboard

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Noslop1, Sep 22, 2017.

1. Noslop1

Noslop1

Sep 22, 2017
    Have purchased a shecter stileto
    What should I use on fretboard. In. And out of a pinch

Helix likes this.
  2. skwee

skwee

Apr 2, 2010
    Minneapolis
    In more than 30 years of playing fretted instruments, I have never put anything on a fretboard.

3. Maxdusty

Maxdusty

Mar 9, 2012
    Michigan USA
    What's wrong with the fretboard?

4. bucephylus

bucephylus Supporting Member

Aug 18, 2002
    Central Ohio
  5. Thumb n Fingers

Thumb n Fingers

Dec 15, 2016

Assuming he doesn't have a maple fingerboard. Not sure what those Schecters' options are or what OP has.

bucephylus likes this.
  6. bucephylus

bucephylus Supporting Member

Aug 18, 2002
    Central Ohio
    +1 Right. A finished maple board would require periodic cleaning just like any other finished part of the instrument. Or not, depending on the player's cleaning prefs.

Reedt2000 likes this.
  7. msiner

msiner

Sep 2, 2008
    Tucson, AZ
    Living in the dry US Southwest, I put simple cutting board mineral oil on my rosewood fingerboards about once each year. My two instruments live on stands (not in cases) and I play them often. So far, I have not had any problems with drying fingerboards.

8. 4StringTheorist

4StringTheorist Supporting Member

The Gerlitz Guitar Honey mentioned by @bucephylus is great.

As is just plain ol' mineral oil like you can get for cheap at the pharmacy.

Edit: I wouldn't bother going to the trouble of the steel wool step. The simpler procedure at 5:45ish works.

Last edited: Sep 22, 2017
  9. steve66

steve66

Sep 17, 2005
    South Florida
    for rosewood, I use a drop of lemon oil then wipe off with clean terry cloth rag

10. I use walnut oil, that I bought at a health food store. A small bottle will last a lifetime. I've used lemon oil, mineral oil, and baby oil (all are inorganic mineral oil) in the past with good results too, but using an organic oil on an organic based instrument just seems to resonate with me more, and does not evaporate away as quickly, requiring less frequent application.

11. Reedt2000

Reedt2000 Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2017
    Central New Jersey
    Often just playing keeps rosewood in good shape. I usually just wipe the fretboard off when I change strings. If it looks dry I'll use a little lemon oil. A light coat which get a min to soak in before I wipe the excess off.

As mentioned above maple fretboard are finished like bodies are and should be wiped off the same way.

If you're talking about finger-ease or fast-fret I've never liked the slippery feel and I gotta think that stuff builds up on the bass over time so I never use either.

Spidey2112 likes this.
  12. BurnOut

BurnOut It's The Billy Baloney Show

Feb 1, 2015
    The Natti
    Bass Guru Justin Kennedy here in town uses some kind of Danish Super Duper Oil. (He's here on TB somewhere under an assumed name) I've never really did much to em in the past. I bought a Strat neck for a project, it was dryer than any fretboard I've ever seen. Went and bought some lemon oil, it soaked up a ton of it too.
    My 2 1/2 cents to the conversation.

13. DavC

DavC

May 17, 2005
    Tallmadge , Ohio
    F-ONE Fretboard cleaner/oil ... !!

ubernator likes this.
  14. Juststanley

Juststanley Supporting Member

Aug 11, 2014
    Tejas
    Again...Hemp Oil.... ash6.jpg

15. Good Ol "CONN BORE OIL"....Best fingerboard oil in the world....Used mainly for wood fittings on clarinets, woodwinds, etc....Purchase where ever horns and band instruments are sold...One bottle lasted me about 20 years...Before a string change I remove old strings and clean my rosewood a couple times a year with 91% rubbing alcohol....I then run some droplets up and down the board and rub it in good with my fingers....Let it soak in a few hours or overnight....Then once you have applied one to a few small coats, buff the crap out of it....Never use Lemon Oil or products containing it as lemon oil will eventually start shrinking wood....Thats my take on it anyway.
    shopping__95161.1471547818.jpg

16. C_Becker

C_Becker

Mar 30, 2017
    Germany
    You do know that "lemon" oil is just plain old mineral oil with a bit of lemon scent ?
    Its not oil made from lemons.

basses51 likes this.
  17. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    Note to all - this is a good example of how *not* to treat a new member. Stupidity has been deleted, any further examples will result in pies.

This is not TBOT.

Joshua and sissy kathy like this.
  18. sissy kathy

sissy kathy Back to Bass-ics Gold Supporting Member

Apr 21, 2014
    Arbutus, MD
    Welcome to Talkbass.
    Generally, unless you live in a dry climate like a desert, there is nothing you need to do to keep your fingerboard in good repair, except to wipe it off after each use. In a dry climate, an unsealed fingerboard may need some moisture added periodically. Oils do not add moisture though, they will sit on top of the fingerboard and add nothing to the moisture content of the wood. In a dry climate, you could simply place a bowl of water near the instrument for a few days. Oils will make an unsealed board look nice, but won't do much of anything else.

Abner likes this.
  19. Turnaround

Turnaround Commercial User

May 6, 2004
    Toronto Canada
    Independent Instrument Technician
    Pretty well every "bore oil" I've her encountered is just mineral oil, maybe with a some colour or scent to distinguish it from everyone else's mineral oil.

dropDADG and basses51 like this.
  20. Okay Cool....I always kinda wondered about that....Makes complete sense to me....Cool....Thanks !!!!

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Sep 28, 2021