Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

"New posts in subscribed forums" workaround

Discussion in 'Off Topic [DB]' started by Chris Fitzgerald, Feb 8, 2006.

1. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    Before the TB software upgrade, Paul set us up with an absolutely awesome search feature called, "New posts in subscribed forums". This feature let you subscribe to forums that you were interested in, then search for new posts in those forums only, which for many of us increased the signal to noise ratio of the site tremendously. When the software upgrade came, we lost this feature, and I've really missed it.

Now, thanks to BG mod Heavy Duty, I've learned that there is a simple workaround that kind of reverse engineers the same concept. Instead of choosing which forums you DO want to see new posts from, you can go to your personal settings and choose which forums you do NOT want to show up in a search of new posts...the end result is the same. Once your settings are entered and saved, every time you hit "New Posts", you'll get only those from the forums that interest you.

To change your settings, go to My TalkBass > Edit Options > Miscellaneous Options (at bottom of page) > Exclude Forums from "Get New Posts". Make sure you save them once you select them (you'll know if you did, since they'll be grayed out). After that, just hit "New Posts", and you're good to go.

Just a heads up for those like me who hadn't figured it out yet.

2. bassmonkeee

bassmonkeee Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    Sweet. I missed the "new posts in subscribed forums," too.

Bye Bye, Off Topic! :hyper:

3. Uncletoad

Uncletoad

May 6, 2003
    Columbus Ohio
    Proprietor Fifth Avenue Fret Shop. Technical Editor Bass Gear Magazine
    Now if we could only get rid of the Lobby with that function it would be perfect. Just reading the thread titles gets my blood boiling.

I need less stress.

4. Chris Fitzgerald

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    Why can't you just do this on a second pass?

5. Uncletoad

Uncletoad

May 6, 2003
    Columbus Ohio
    It's not available as an exclusion option.

I suppose I should just be more tolerant and ignore that stuff.

6. Chris Fitzgerald

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    Hmm, I just excluded the Lobby from the search in my "Misc. options" menu by command-clicking (on a Mac). There must be a PC equivalent, no?

7. Uncletoad

Uncletoad

May 6, 2003
    Columbus Ohio
    Yea holding Ctrl and left clicking works to do the highlighting but that's really not the issue. The lobby isn't appearing on the list as something one can get rid of.

There are all the EB threads I block out and the Sponsored stuff and Paul's stuff (no offense). I usually just leave open the DB forums for new posts. The Lobby isn't showing up as something that can be excluded.

8. Chris Fitzgerald

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    Very odd. On my list, the Lobby shows up under the DB forums, same as it does in the "Jump to Forum" list at the bottom of each page.

9. Uncletoad

Uncletoad

May 6, 2003
    Columbus Ohio
    Well there's a glitch for you.
    I have the list on the drop down "Jump to Forum" thing like you say but the one under the "options" list isn't the same.

10. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Ontario
    Wait, I thought the Lobby/TPA was closed?

11. bassmonkeee

bassmonkeee Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA

Make that Glitch:2, Us:0 :meh:

I just want to not see the lobby. :help: :bawl: