1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

New Project - Have a listen

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by rosstanium, May 6, 2010.

1. rosstanium

rosstanium

Jan 5, 2008
    Detroit
    Endorsing Artist: D'Addario
    Fun side project I'm in. Have a listen if you feel like it:

www.myspace.com/thevictorioussecrets

our sweet intro:

It started as a group of us trying to win a jingle contest for Fox Sports Detroit. It worked, then we realized we had fun writing together and it's taken on a life of it's own. Good times.

2. I have a slow connection right now, so the myspace player isn't working for me. But I did hear the April In The D song you guys did. Cool! Congrats, and break a leg!

3. rosstanium

rosstanium

Jan 5, 2008
    Detroit
    thanks!

4. Sounds super cool....I definately hear a little sloan in there!!

5. rosstanium

rosstanium

Jan 5, 2008
    Detroit
    you're not the first person to say that. nice!

6. You guys sound great! I'll have to check out a show soon.

7. rosstanium

rosstanium

Jan 5, 2008
    Detroit
    for sure.

8. iZoom

iZoom

Oct 2, 2007
    Sounds cool. I really enjoy it!

9. rosstanium

rosstanium

Jan 5, 2008
    Detroit
    thanks!

10. rosstanium

rosstanium

Jan 5, 2008
    Detroit

11. Hawaii Islander

Hawaii Islander Supporting Member

Aug 11, 2007
    Rio Rico, AZ
    I like! :)

12. rosstanium

rosstanium

Jan 5, 2008
    Detroit
    glad you dig

13. IconBasser

IconBasser Scuba Viking Supporting Member

Feb 28, 2007
    Alta Loma, California
    heh, I love the anonymous reviews on the myspace site.

Kinda reminds me of Queens of the Stone Age mashed up with the Beatles, if that makes any sense at all.

14. rosstanium

rosstanium

Jan 5, 2008
    Detroit
    It does...and that's a huge compliment. thanks.

And those quotes are actual quotes from people on a local Detroit sports talk radio bulletin board after hearing our song (that won the local contest on Fox Sports Detroit.)

15. Dubadays

Dubadays

Apr 4, 2009
    This is awesome! Every time I go to one of these pages on Talkbass, I always hope I will find something I like, but alas, it's never the case. But this I love! Part of that is due to what IconBasser said. I LOVE Queens of the Stone Age, and it seems that there was some influence from them in here. Is there some influence from QOTSA? But like I said, I love this. Are you workin on album anytime soon?

To me, this band is kind of like, QOTSA+The Beatles+Arctic Monkeys with a little Flight of the Conchords-ish personality. Keep up the good work

16. rosstanium

rosstanium

Jan 5, 2008
    Detroit
    Thanks so much man. Yeah, there's definitely some influence from QOSTA. Beatles, Queen, other classics for sure. And we definitely have our tongues planted firmly in our cheeks.

Our three song EP should be up iTunes shortly. And we're in the process of recording a full length.

17. Dubadays

Dubadays

Apr 4, 2009
    No problem dude. I dish out props wherever they are deserved. The one thing I would like the comment on is the mix of the drums. I mean, it's totally up to you of course because this is totally a matter of opinion, but: part of what makes certain bands awesome is the mix of the drums. It's so easy to let the drums take backseat in a mix and whenever I do a recording, it's always what ends up happening, and it's hard to fix unless you devote all of your attention to it. Generally what works pretty well is to bring out the snare a bit. My example would be Flight of the Viking in specific. The song has the ability to grab a listener's attention (again, this is PURELY a style thing. So, up to you), but due to the mix of the drums, it just has a 'chill' style. I would say just turn up the drums in general, and the snare even higher due to the fact that snare generally needs to stand out.

I mean, like I said, this is all in my humble opinion. And I'm a high school student, and you are probably working with qualified sound engineers haha. So, I mean, take my advice for what it's worth I guess.

18. rosstanium

rosstanium

Jan 5, 2008
    Detroit
    No stress man. Always appreciate constructive critique. Thanks for your thoughts!