Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

New rig layout...

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Tecx, Jun 16, 2004.

1. Tecx

Tecx Radio Rock Leads To Sterility

Jun 9, 2002
    Halifax, NS, Canada
    Hey guys... First post in a while, I havn't been 'round much...

The new rig...

Here we go (should be done in a month)

EB Volume Pedal*** -> SaS Tone Soap -> Effector 13 TBD* (with sirkut electonics r-mod and blue box in loop) -> Akai Deep Impact* -> DOD 250 -> LAL Green Monster Septic fuzz -> Guyatone Bottom Wah Rocker* (set as a lowpass filter) -> SIB Mr Echo -> Crowthier Audio Prunes and Custard -> Xotic Robotalk* ->
    Perscription Electronics Depth Charge** -> Line 6 DL-4 -> EHX Holy Grail -> HAO Rustride -> Tech21 SABDDI or MXR M-80***

hopefully I will be able to fit it all on a NYC pedalboards Bigshot...

* - in transit
    ** - just need to pay for it (sorry Clayton and David)
    *** - need to find one for a good damn price...

well there it is in all its crapulance...

Alex

2. D.A.R.K.

D.A.R.K. Supporting Member

Aug 20, 2003
    Virginia
    that sounds like a blast!
    i, too have a new rig...after adding up my pedal expenses, i realized i spent the same $ as i did on my g4 powerbook and 24/96k interface...
    i got a behringer midi foot controller, optimized my system for no latency(there's a ms or two, but 96k w/ low buffer it's nigh undiscernable, especially when mixed with a clean analog signal...)
    i use ableton live as my host program, and can create multiple tracks of different fx, with plug-ins, vsts, and midi you can go nuts like i've never experienced in my 23yrs playing bass...all parameters are midi assignable in live...not to mention live is the best looper i've ever used...auto quantization, individual triggering of as many individual loop tracks as the system will handle..all in real time.. now i'll just have to see how reliable this is on the road....considering all the problems i had on tour with my massive pedalboard(we just did 20 dates)i'm willing to give it a try(hell, i've seen squarepusher do the digital w/out any problems)and if it fails(like my pedalboard)i've
    always got a clean direct(which is all you need to start with anyway)
    i'l be mixing blonde redhead at the siren fest in nyc next month,
    and will use the same rig as my live fx processor...
    btw, with my interface, that's 8 in 8 out or 4 stereo in/out,
    so the flexibility is amazing...and i can use all the fx i use when creating in the studio enviornment...
    it is a bit early in the game of computers for this, but i'm going for it....if all works out, then i'll be posting my pedals for sale
    (and putting the $ toward that g5 laptop tba)
    can't wait to see the hate mail on this
    p.s.yes, it sounds great in a band situation!
    p.s.s. i will eventually post clips
    d

3. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Sounds sweet, when you gonna have Toan Soap sound clips?

4. D.A.R.K.

D.A.R.K. Supporting Member

Aug 20, 2003
    Virginia
    i'm sure someone will try to digitally emulate the tone soap one day and come up with something that sounds just as interesting(but completely different).

sorry about the rude hijack here, what's up with the septic fuzz?
    that sounds rad...

5. Tecx

Jun 9, 2002
    Halifax, NS, Canada
    Very soon tim... very very soon... I got screwed on my graphics so the first 10 will be limited eddition hand painted and numbered... I should have them built by the end of the month...

Alex

6. Muzique Fann

Muzique Fann Howzit brah

Dec 8, 2003
    Kauai, HI
    Dude, that is an exciting chain! I've been intrigued by that Guyatone pedal, how does that thing sound?

7. Tecx

Jun 9, 2002
    Halifax, NS, Canada
    it sounds great... I am going use it as a statick lowpass filter...I unloaded both my FX-25s to get it... And I am happy as a clam... (Thanks tightbidness...)

Alex

8. dirtgroove

dirtgroove

Jan 10, 2003
    Taipei, Taiwan
    Hey Tecx
    Some questions.

Xotic Robotalk? Samples please, please,please,please.

How you liking the Green Monster a few months down the line? How much use does it get?

How do you get on with the Prunes and Custard?

You may want to put your Deep Impact before either of those by the way. Any fuzz I have before before mine doesn't comethrough so well- Just gives me tracking issues.

9. Tecx

Jun 9, 2002
    Halifax, NS, Canada
    I still love it... And when the whammy get here it will be even better!!! Boo Yah!.. It gets tons of use... definetly worth the money... Although I guess I wish I I had the Zvex FF, it does almost all the same stuff as the FF though... It just doesn't self ocssilate....

Alex

10. Tecx

Jun 9, 2002
    Halifax, NS, Canada
  11. dirtgroove

dirtgroove

Jan 10, 2003
    Taipei, Taiwan
    Just been to the link. - Christ on a bike man!- :eyebrow: And I thought I was giving myself a headache with my set up. Get your tapdancing shoes at the ready! :D

So anyway- about that prunes and custard. I can't find any clips anywhere. Any pointers?

Let us know about the xotic robotalk too- like how adjustable is the random arpeggiator?
    I'm all over that- the line6 filtermodeller does something similar, don't know if you're familiar- just wondered if you could offer any input.

12. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    Alex,
    it's nice to see someone carrying a bigger pedalboard than me :)

13. alexclaber

alexclaber Commercial User

Jun 19, 2001
    Brighton, UK
    Director - Barefaced Ltd
    Ditto!

How do you make the magic geeked rig diagram?

Alex

14. Tecx

Jun 9, 2002
    Halifax, NS, Canada
    Thanks man... You should shoot me an e-mail (pears@nbnet.nb.ca) I have some soundclips of the Robotalk and the P&C together actualy. They are a match made in hell!.. mwahah ha!..

I will did up some soundckips of the P&C but no one was bieing them and they where taking up presuious attachment space so i deleted them... But I will do some new one up and e-mail them to you... So e-mail me..

Alex

ps. the robotalk and the Obiwah (on the FM4) are both baied on the same oberhime unit... And the robo is great, specialy when you fiddlle with the trim pots....

pps. there isn't many pedals i do not know about :smug:

15. Tecx

Jun 9, 2002
    Halifax, NS, Canada
    No prob dave, anytime... :D

Alex

16. Tecx

Jun 9, 2002
    Halifax, NS, Canada
    Its a super super secret, but i will tell you it took me over 3 hours in paintshop... Bah!..

Alex

ps. I am not going ampless, officaily... I am using the pa and I am getting a little powered speaker for myself...

17. SoComSurfing

SoComSurfing Mercedes Benz Superdome. S 127. R 22. S 12-13.

Feb 15, 2002
    Mobile, Al
    Tecx, I'd be really interested in some of those Robotalk soundclips, too. Have you compared that to the Ooh-Wah?

18. Tecx

Jun 9, 2002
    Halifax, NS, Canada
    Ok.. I'll do some up and post them... But this is like the 12th time I have posted soundclips - someone should sponser me for a supoting membership - it will make things WAY easyer... then I can upload all the soundclips you gusy want... ;)

And the Ooh Wah is just a step wah (wahs are band pass filters), the robotalk is a lowpass filter with sample and hold... It is baised on the Oberheim Voltage Controled Filter - like the Linne 6 MM4's Obi Wah setting...

They are compleatly different beasts...

Alex