1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

New rig (need help)

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Seaweed, Aug 13, 2007.

1. Seaweed

Seaweed

Apr 9, 2007
    Sweden
    Hello!

The time has come for me to get myself my first real rig. I'm currently playing through a 2x12 keyboard amp for practise with my band and a Peavey MicroBass at home (it's actually quite good on low volumes). I'm selling the 2x12 in favor for some new stuff. My budget is ~€600-700.

So here's the deal: I'm in Europe and won't be able to order from across the sea. I play an OLP MM2 tuned in drop-D. I'm looking for a cheap, yet good top (around 300W) and a punchy sounding cabinet. Our band plays hard rock/rock/grunge/punk with inspiration from bands like Creed, QOTSA and Volbeat.

I've heard good things about the Ashdown MAG series and Hartke HA series, but I'm also thinking maybe G&K or Warwick. Their cheapos seem to be under €300 which would be perfect for a poor student as me.

As far as it concerns the cab, I'm thinking 4x10 or even 2x10. Again Ashdown MAG, Hartke XL/TP/VX, G&K Backline and Warwick is what I've been looking at. Also saw and tried som Peavey cabs that seemed pretty sweet.

Any help and experiences would be appreciated (sp?) since I'm new to this. Thanks!

I've also used the search button but found nothing relevant to me. :)

/Tim

2. myhot4

myhot4

Jul 11, 2006
    Sydney Australia
    I'd get a 410. It will be the best bang for your buck. Hartke has excellent power but the tone is so and so. Ashdown sounds sweet, but their reliability issues scared me away when when I was shopping for an amp. However, they seemed to have picked up their game significantly. The GK backline are great but it takes time to get to know. As I found with all the GK cabs Although once you hit that sweet spot, look out. The warwick are sweet sounding as well, although not to the same quality as the backline in this price range. Good luck.

3. Seaweed

Seaweed

Apr 9, 2007
    Sweden
    Thanks for taking your time to answer!

I'm thinking of getting a Hartke HA top and a G&K 410 cab... Anyone got any experience with this combo? I've heard that the Hartke is kind of "rockish" which would suit me well.

/Tim