1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

New Rush

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by Datsgor, Jan 14, 2012.

1. Datsgor

Datsgor Supporting Member

Jul 29, 2000
    California
  2. jgroh

jgroh Supporting Member

Sep 14, 2007
    Pennsylvania
    Caravan has been out for months.

3. I'm waiting for the official studio album with this and several other new tunes on it. Anyone know anything about that?

4. mikezimmerman

mikezimmerman Supporting Member

Apr 29, 2001
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Longer than that--the video in the link was posted June 2010. It's not looking like they're going to hit the 2011 deadline for the new recording--anybody heard anything about when it's actually going to be released?

5. Can't find a date for the album release. Maybe they don't know yet? They finished recording last month last I heard, so they have to wrap up production.

Caravan and BU2B have been out since early summer of 2010 at least. First I heard them was when they played them live in front of me in Sept. 2010. Good stuff.

6. According to Geddy the title track is going to be a long one, based on a steampunk theme. Sounds kind of proggy. It goes without saying that I am crawling the walls waiting for this album.
    :hyper:

7. Altitude

Altitude An ounce of perception, a pound of obscure. Supporting Member

Mar 9, 2005
    Denver, nee Austin
    I miss a little keyboard here and there in the new Rush stuff. There, I said it.

Caravan rocks solid, I love the song. But I think that their keyboard pendulum has swung all the way to one side, to where they are consciously avoiding any keyboard layers at all. Things got a little key-heavy there for a while, but I miss a little bit of in their sound - about like Moving Pictures was.

8. Hamrhed

Hamrhed

Dec 26, 2007
    Ky
    Getting excited about Clockwork Angels... I like the steampunk theme- if Caravan is any indication, we are in for another killer Rush album :hyper:

9. They just started the mixing process for the new album. My guess it's out 2 months from now.

10. jgroh

jgroh Supporting Member

Sep 14, 2007
    Pennsylvania
    Their producer has pushed them to use keys more and there were some keys on Snakes & Arrows. Not where Geddy put down the bass and played a quick part then got back on the bass (which I really like).

PS...I love Caravan

11. Yeah, if they use keys the way they did before Power Windows I'd be cool with that.

But it's also cool to see them going back to straight old school guitar, bass, and drums.

They still use keys live, but Geddy has moved as much of that to foot controls as possible since he says he wants to concentrate on his bass. Can't argue with him there.

12. Their producer Nick supposedly loves the analog-goodness of the Taurus Pedals, so Geddy said the new album has some on there. Sweet. Yeah, some keyboard stuff would be cool.

Sadly I missed the last tour (bought the Bluray though), and I LOVE Caravan and BU2B. I really like Snakes and Arrows too--one of my top 5 Rush albums. Nick was/is a big Rush fan, and really pushed them to do more complex arrangements on the last album I remember hearing.

13. Altitude

Altitude An ounce of perception, a pound of obscure. Supporting Member

Mar 9, 2005
    Denver, nee Austin
    I definitely liked Snakes & Arrows and dig Caravan. I can see from the recent tour DVDs that Geddy has the keyboard rig onstage for the old stuff. Anything on the newer stuff he appears to be triggering with foot triggers. Not what I'm talking about - I enjoyed Geddy _playing_ the keys and would love to see a little of that back in the sound.

We'll see where it goes. I'll buy the new album the day it's available either way. And I'm a Spotify guy, so that is saying something.

14. Hamrhed

Hamrhed

Dec 26, 2007
    Ky
    Speaking of keyboards (from the Time Machine tour): when Geddy hits the keyboard lick right before the band kicks in on 'Camera Eye'... that made me miss the keyboard parts a little; crowd went apesh!t :^}

15. Yeah, finally seeing Camera Eye live for the first time was the highlight of the night for me. And the whole NYC/London montage on the big screen fit perfectly, like it was part of a really good music video.

16. ChrisDieci

ChrisDieci

Oct 22, 2009
    Italy
    Steam-punk theme? Well, if there was something that could get me even more excited about the forthcoming album, it was this!

Really glad there is a long track too, I love their past epics...

Now if only I could see Hemispheres played live... :bawl:

17. Flyingfrets

Flyingfrets

Dec 25, 2011
    Last I read an interview with Geddy (August or September), he said they expected to be done recording around the end of last year with a projected release around April and on the road early - mid summer.

Saw "Time Machine" at MSG last lear. "Moving Pictures" live from start to finish was incredible.

"R30" was a great show too. Loved their take on "Crossroads," "The Seeker," & "For What It's Worth."

Come to think of it, I've never seen Rush do a bad show.

Definitely looking forward to the new one.

18. I'd love it if this album had a little bit of keys and Taurus, like the Kings/Hemispheres era. Rush getting a little more progressive again can only be a good thing :)