Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

New Smith!!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Basso Profoundo, Jan 14, 2004.

1. Basso Profoundo

Basso Profoundo Supporting Member

Jun 2, 2002
    Indiana
    Just got a '94 Chuck Rainey Model with solid Koa Body Wings and a quilt Center Block. Five piece Maple/Morado Neck with Ebony board. It was very well taken care of. The sound is very deep, but clean and punchy. It is a limited edition #3 of 5 according to the inside of the cover plate. It is very lightweight and balances nicely standing. I am taking it to practice tomorrow night. I am curious how it will sit in the mix for rock type stuff. Anybody have any experience with Smiths for live stuff?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. berklee46

berklee46 Supporting Member

Dec 19, 2000
    MA
    Unfortunately,I don't have any experience with Smiths (yet), but that is a beaitiful bass. Conratulations!

3. jivetkr

jivetkr

May 15, 2002
    NJ
    that quilt center is awesome. Its so deep. Looks like a pool!

Nice bass!

4. jdombrow

jdombrow Supporting Member

Jan 16, 2002
    Colorado Springs, CO
    How it "sits in the mix" is all dependant on how you EQ the bass and your amp. These days, there aren't many bad sounding basses out there. The problem usually stems from the fact that the tone we like when playing alone, or when listening to someone else's recorded tone, doesn't always work well in live situations. A low, thick tone may sound cool to us, but it usually won't cut through. Midrange is the key. The room will generally boost our low bass more than we realize, so you can cut the bass on stage and still get plenty of bass in the audience.

JD

5. Bassstud1

Bassstud1 Supporting Member

Sep 23, 2001
    LaPorte Indiana USA
    I was going to buy a Ken Smith but never played one. How do they compare to Alembics and SR5's?
    I think I've talked to you before I use to play with the Eyewitness Blues Team before I retired New Years EVe.

6. Basso Profoundo

Jun 2, 2002
    Indiana
    The room will generally boost our low bass more than we realize, so you can cut the bass on stage and still get plenty of bass in the audience.

I agree, especially small clubs with wood floors, it's like whoa, where did all this lowend come from. I'm taking the Smith to practice tomorrow, so we will see.

7. Basso Profoundo

Jun 2, 2002
    Indiana
    Bassstud,
    I just got it, but I think it is darker sounding than the Alembics I have played in the past, but still very modern sounding with the right eq'ing. If you don't boost the treble, the tone can get very dark, and the bass can get monstrous with the bass boosted too high. I should check to see if the preamp has a gain control, anybody?