New soundposts....

Discussion in 'Setup & Repair [DB]' started by james condino, May 13, 2022.

1. james condino

james condino Spruce dork Supporting Member Commercial User

Sep 30, 2007
    asheville, nc
    I make soundposts from about ten different materials- multiple different spruces, hardwoods, carbon fiber, titanium, composites of multiple materials, almost anything I get asked for. The deciding factor in other people's requests seem to have little to do with sound and mostly depend upon how much time they spend on the world wide waste of time.

Even though I have an incredible giant Oliver patternmaker's lathe built in late 1929 that weighs as much as my first car, I always prefer to slow down for a few minutes and cut them by hand for my personal instruments. A well aged section of spruce, a small workspace with a "stop", and a simple handplane with a fresh edge on the blade....

In our world surrounded by computer driven perfection and cnc'd everything, I usually leave the toolmarks in place to show that an actual human made it.

Condino soundpost carving.JPG

Last edited: May 13, 2022
    Earl, s0707, Brad_Pearson and 16 others like this.
  2. Don Kasper

Don Kasper Supporting Member

Love your "relic'd" workbench!
    That must have cost a pretty penny.
    Thx., Mr. Dork!

3. Hogslapper

Hogslapper

Apr 16, 2020
    Mid Missouri
    This one is made from a $.25 yard sale find. A decommissioned, butane candle torch. Removed the flame throwing mechanism and bought a vacuum tube delete rubber cap from the auto supply store for $.69.
    06301ABE-1CF3-4F20-86F5-D69C12C423B2.jpeg

unbrokenchain and james condino like this.
  4. Hogslapper

Hogslapper

Apr 16, 2020
    Mid Missouri
    Lol! I reckon I should read a little closer!

5. dhergert

dhergert Gold Supporting Member

Jan 17, 2018
    Blue Zone, California
    James, with your specialties including access panels and aeronautic plastics, have you ever thought about making an adjustable-length CF sound post? (Not that a wooden adjustable-length sound post wouldn't also be cool!)

6. james condino

james condino Spruce dork Supporting Member Commercial User

Sep 30, 2007
    asheville, nc
    Nope. No need from where I sit. Trapdoors allow me infinite, very precise soundpost fitting. Having used them for about a dozen years, the exotic soundpost materials do offer multiple possibilities, but I generally find that a well fit post is much more important than a fancy material. FWIW, even with all of the exotic options here, I generally use a spruce on on my personal basses.

Nuthin' "relic'd" about that workbench; it is the real deal. It follows me very time I do a sunburst or other finish work. Anyone who has come by for a shop visit notices that half of the things in the shop have interesting colors; anything leftover in the spray gun gets blasted on the jigs and workbenches & tools and such....

DSCN0557.JPG

Last edited: May 13, 2022
    Fretless55, Wasnex, J_Bass and 6 others like this.
  7. BassFalcon

BassFalcon

Nov 18, 2020
    The Soul

8. LaFaro01

LaFaro01

Aug 27, 2018
    But there some more.. not only Anima Nova, but for example the "Klangzauberstab" by Diastrad.. The Hamberger Soundpost was another variation, but I'm not sure, whether they are still being built...:p

BassFalcon likes this.
  9. BassFalcon

BassFalcon

Nov 18, 2020
    Nice. I had just learned about the Anima yesterday reading a classified ad here that mentioned it.

LaFaro01 likes this.
  10. The Anima Nova has the finest thread, so could be adjusted best, but it is very expensive. The Klangzauberstab is a lot cheaper, the Hamberger in between as far as I can remember.

There was a lot of issues between the developers a while ago regarding patents.
    I found none of them was completely right, mostly because there have been patents for adjustable soundposts much earlier.

For me the Anima Nova is for a professional player with an expensive instrument. The other two for the middle, maybe a bit lower price range of an instrument. That way all of them can have their customers.

The Klangzauberstab could be from different material, carbon fiber, wood, etc.
    There are feet, one fixed, one adjustable, that are put on the post.

The only thing I really disliked was the aggressive and wrong advertising of Diastrad. But they are closest to me (25 km) and I visited them once for some information about it.

BassFalcon likes this.
  11. jallenbass

jallenbass Supporting Member Commercial User

May 17, 2005
    Bend, Oregon
    That's a beautiful sunburst.

Fretless55 and james condino like this.
  12. Greg Clinkingbeard

Greg Clinkingbeard Commercial User

Apr 4, 2005
    Kansas City area
    Black Dog Bass Works
    I’ve not tried the expensive, adjustable posts. Carved basses get a well fitted spruce post. Might use new wood or some that were made decades ago. That, and the tone I get from dropping them on the floor makes an audible difference, but fit and position are paramount.
    Plywood basses usually get maple or oak. Lately, I prefer a 3/4” oak dowel.

james condino likes this.
  13. 1st Bass

1st Bass

May 26, 2005
    Forest Grove, OR
    I don’t think it is wise to keep dropping your basses on the floor, even if they ARE plywood…

14. Greg Clinkingbeard

Apr 4, 2005
    Kansas City area
    Black Dog Bass Works
    That’s the best thing for many of them. The best they are ever going to sound.

15. dhergert

dhergert Gold Supporting Member

Jan 17, 2018
    Blue Zone, California
    It is very reasonable and very possible to make a simple adjustable sound post in your garage, but without an access port, the big benefit of on-the-fly setting experimentation is lost. Realistically I really doubt most owners of fine, expensive DBs are going to want to add an access port just so they can experiment with an adjustable sound post.

I'm lucky enough to have an access port on a DB that is both fun and ok to experiment with, so I made a custom, adjustable length sound post. I've learned that on my DB, the way it is setup now, it has noticeably more volume and better tone balance with a longer (tighter) sound post. Maybe that's because I'm using low tension strings, where the tighter sound post compensates for them. Whatever it is, I'm glad to have things tighter in there; the change was pretty dramatic.

BassFalcon likes this.
  16. mjt0229

mjt0229 Supporting Member

Aug 8, 2007
    Bellingham, WA
    You missed an opportunity to have a torch bass though

17. I’d love to take my basses to mr james and have him adjust the soundposts to the perfect position and fit, but by the time they arrived back home I’m confidant that they would no longer be in that position. Please imagine a period somewhere around the middle of that sentence. ^

So i must learn to do it. Are there some general rules about how a soundpost fits and postions best in a plywood vs a carved bass?

18. Greg Clinkingbeard

Apr 4, 2005
    Kansas City area
    Black Dog Bass Works
    Properly fitted soundposts should not move with the bass under tension.

19. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 21, 2022