1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

New Speakers in Mesa Road Ready

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Heyman, Oct 31, 2013.

1. Heyman

Heyman

Apr 10, 2008
    I'm currently using a Mesa RR 2x15 cab from the old series and have been pretty satisfied with it. Today I came over a 2x10" in the same series. I've been thinking about getting one for some time and the thing that have stopped me is the impedance matching problem.

The 2x15 is 4 Ohms and the 2x10" is 8 ohms, I guess Mesa never meant thoose two to get married.

Anyway as I see it the only sollution is to exchange the elements in the 2x10" but what elements should I put in? Ordering elements from mesas new series feels a bit overkill and I suppose they are pretty expensive.

Worth mentioning is that I'm using a Tube head and I got to get this combination to work in either 4 or 8 ohms. Two 8 ohms speakers in the 2x10" and then running the two cabs in series is supposely the only option.

HELP!

2. georgestrings

georgestrings Banned

Nov 5, 2005
    Not a good idea at all, IMO/IME - you don't want to have a 4 ohm 215 paired with a 4 ohm 210 - the 210 will probably get blown out...

- georgestrings

3. Heyman

Heyman

Apr 10, 2008
    Doesn't it depend on the elements? Right now the 2x10 can deal with 400 watts which should mean that each element can deal with 200 watts, I have a 200 watt head and is never even close to full throttle. My intention is also to put the 2x15 first in series and there I got elements that can take 400 watts each. For what I can calculate it seems safe. Am I wrong?

4. punkrocko

punkrocko

Jun 18, 2002
    Nashville, TN
    If it were me, I’d get a power amp. Run the 210 off the head and the 215 off the power amp. This would give you more control of the balance between the two cabs, and alleviate the impedance concern. It will also probably be much cheaper than replacing drivers. Then in a couple of months when you decide you don’t like it, you can still sell the unmodified gear in original condition.

5. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    Forget about wattage ratings, they don't really figure in with cab pairings. Instead, spend a little time reading the amps FAQ's and stickies to get a better understanding of exactly how all this stuff works. But bottom line, those 2 cabs are not a good pairing under most any circumstance.

6. Heyman

Heyman

Apr 10, 2008
    Thats how I had it a couple of years ago when using a Mesa Strategy 400 as main amp. The two channels on the Strategy was really great pairing different cabs.

I've heard the combination of theese cabs together with an M9 head and I really think it sounded great. The M9 is though able to run them on 2 Ohms which my Matamp aint. I'm not keen on exchanging the Matamp for any tranistor head.

The solution may be to just connect to one 15" in the 2x15 and then pair it up with the 2x10" as Mesa intended them to run. Then I get the top in the rehearsal room and will be able to hear myself in all the mud the Guitarrs makes and Live I can continue to use the 2x15.