1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

***?! New speakers popping! (Video)

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by nonogz, Mar 25, 2013.

1. nonogz

nonogz

May 9, 2009
    I just replaced my 8ohm neo410 speakers a couple weeks ago. I also picked up a used (great condition) wt800a. I've been running it bridged since I got it and it sounds fantastic....until last night. Out of no where I feted this nasty popping and sometimes would get distortion. Out of nowhere! Here's a video clip I just made....it's a LOUD pop

I'm palm muting in the beginning and then just trying to hit loud notes at the end....

2. There are largish white ceramic resistors on the pre amp board. Most likely they have degraded the solder joints on the PCB. Have them re-flowed or have the amp modded to remotely mount new resistors (common failure). First place I would look.

3. nonogz

nonogz

May 9, 2009
    Towards the end of the gig, it sounded like ass. Low notes were farting bad.....it's not doing that now. Why's that????

4. BassmanPaul

BassmanPaul Gold Supporting Member

Aug 25, 2007
    Toronto Ontario Canada
    Sounds to me like you are bouncing the voice coil off the back plate of the magnat structure. Did you replace the drivers with the same units as the original stock ones??

Edit: Although I've been using stereo power amps since the late Seventies i have never felt the need to bridge any of them. Bridging can cause a lot of problems if not done right.

5. nonogz

nonogz

May 9, 2009
    Yeah same as the stock...direct from GK

6. nonogz

nonogz

May 9, 2009
    It ended up being one of the new speakers....the excursion on one of them was wayyyy more than the other 3. Replaced it with an old speaker....problem solved. GK shipped me a new one yesterday

7. Steve Dallman

Steve Dallman Supporting Member

I'm thinking the spider surround came unglued.

8. Awesome. Thanks for coming back with the report!

9. will33

will33

May 22, 2006
    austin,tx
    Could be this....or for whatever reason, that speaker was either blown or came disconnected and was just flopping around in sympathy with the ones that were working.

Any particular reason you replaced all the speakers when the old ones were working? Or did yoj have a couple blown ones and just got a fresh set, keeping a couple spares.

Careful bridging the amp if you're pushing a lot of lowend. Enough power there to blow the new ones too.

10. nonogz

nonogz

May 9, 2009
    Yeah I had a couple blown speakers, but replaced all of them. That older one is in there as backup until tomorrow.

11. BassmanPaul

BassmanPaul Gold Supporting Member

Aug 25, 2007
    Toronto Ontario Canada
    Remember to do the battery test before you use that cab with an amp. It's just to easy to get one out of polarity.

12. If you're blowing speakers you're pushing them too hard. The volume difference between coasting along and bleeding edge is minimal. Maybe you like the sound of bleeding edge tens?

A fdeck hpf may help you stop murdering your neos. I'm not familiar with your amp EQ but cutting low lows generally sounds little different as most cabs can't make enough of them to be heard or felt.

From memory your amp is pretty darn powerful, something like 450w from a single channel with 8ohms? That being the case, bridging is simply an express ticket to hell.

13. nonogz

nonogz

May 9, 2009
    Read the thread...it wasn't my amp. The speaker was defective.

14. But how did the previous ones become defective? It's a distinct possibility the new defective one got that way because you didn't learn from the previous failures caused by overpowering. So I spent some time giving you some free advice. Silly me.

15. nonogz

nonogz

May 9, 2009
    5 years of gigging 5 nights a week