1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

New SQUIER VM series! (Part 2)

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by smperry, Oct 16, 2013.

1. smperry

smperry Administrator Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

Nov 3, 2003
    Bay Area, CA
  2. In with my VM Jag 5 (Currently awaiting properly aligned pickguard).

rPHvaUF.

3. Vostre Roy

Vostre Roy

Mar 22, 2012
    Here's her twin!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

4. Cheap bass guitars that actually look nice and play and sound good. What's not to like?

5. dave_bass5

dave_bass5

May 28, 2004
    London, UK.
    Lovely looking sunburst. I hope mine looks like that when it arrives.

6. BigBeatNut

BigBeatNut

Apr 10, 2006
    London, UK
    I'm liking those :)

7. jasonbraatz

jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    Got it all situated.

ru7imxR.

It's seriously, seriously nice.

8. dave_bass5

dave_bass5

May 28, 2004
    London, UK.
    Oooh yes, it seriously is.
    To be honest I'm not a great lover of tort, the fact that it comes with a black PG is actually a huge bonus for me, but I do like the look of it on this bass for some reason.
    I've still got my CV tort PG floating around, might try it on at some point.

9. Shardik

Shardik

May 24, 2011
    Halden, Norway
    Yes, that is really good looking. I still have the original black one, which I really prefer to white on sunburst, but that tortoise is classy. If this was my only bass, I'd consider an upgrade, but so far it is my backup. It has the potential to be a contender to my main bass in some settings, though.

10. dave_bass5

dave_bass5

May 28, 2004
    London, UK.
    Mines arrived but i cant open it until lunchtime (stupid new job i have lol). :hyper:
    This is intended to be my main, and only gigging bass. It will replace my Squier CVP. I cant see that i'd lose anything and will of course gain a Jazz pup and a better looking bass.

11. Think I'm going to have to get me a P5 in candy apple red...

12. Shardik

Shardik

May 24, 2011
    Halden, Norway
    Nice choice. If it is the same CAR as Fenders I have seen before, it is a really nice finish. I almost ordered that instead of the sunburst I finally decided on, but then I tend to go for finishes that shows the wood underneath.

13. dave_bass5

dave_bass5

May 28, 2004
    London, UK.
    I finaly got to have a quick play on my new PJ. Thoughts are mainly positive.
    The action is waaaay to high, and there is quite a bit of forward bow in the neck. These two issues will be easy to sort out, hopefully. The nut seems to be cut a bit high but again, thats easy to fix and better than being to low.
    The finish and wood matching seems to be really good, i cant see any obvious wood miss match and the finish is blemish free.
    The only other concern i have is that the jazz pup seems slightly miss aligned, so that the G string only sits over one pole piece. At this price point im not going ot worry at all. I did send 3 MIA's back a few years ago for this issues but i think its really just cosmetic.

Oh, and it does seem very, very light. Much lighter than my CV Jazz. Ill weigh it later when i get home.
    Ive not yet plugged it in, but i cant imagine any issues in the tone dept. I found a Fender 62RI pup at home that will go in at the neck position, but i want to give the stock pups a chance first.

All in all, im very happy with it and although i do plan to mod it, maybe even put a Lakland neck on it, i'd happily gig it stock if i had to, once the action is lower.

Pics to follow later.

14. jumblemind

jumblemind I also answer to Bryan Supporting Member

Aug 27, 2011
    Knoxville
    This is my story, exactly. It's very different from the CV, though. It's more of a 70s style, only half the weight! I love my CV 60s P for what it is, so I decided to keep it and sell another bass instead. The CV is now my backup, or for when I just want that old P feel.

15. jumblemind

jumblemind I also answer to Bryan Supporting Member

Aug 27, 2011
    Knoxville
    Ha, my story, again. I have a black pg on my CV with the tort going unused. I contemplated putting it on the p/j, though the rest of the band wants me to keep the black. Not that that really matters, but we do have a bit of a uniform going.

16. jasonbraatz

jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    The sunburst on the PJ does look a little more 70's than the 60's sunburst that looks the best with the tort guard, but I still like how it worked out. The guard isn't a Squier, it's the 62 Reissue one, and it fit exactly.

17. Shardik

Shardik

May 24, 2011
    Halden, Norway
    After changing to flats some days ago, I decided that the neck probably has settled by now. I found the action a bit high, while the neck looked pretty straight. Time to fine adjust saddle height.

And boy, was that a change! I have mostly owned budget basses, and this probably have the lowest action so far with no buzz. Happy now. :)

18. Gorn

Gorn

Dec 15, 2011
    Queens, NY
    My new P5 just got here!
    IMG_0671_zps104d2c5c.
    NBD thread to come later.

19. jlepre

jlepre

Nov 12, 2007
    Parsippany, NJ
    If you grow tired of it, let me know ;)

20. Gorn

Gorn

Dec 15, 2011
    Queens, NY
    Will do. Fivers never worked for me and I have no reason to think this'll be any different, but we'll see.