1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

New strings that are close to dead strings

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Tridacnid, May 14, 2011.

1. Tridacnid

Tridacnid

Jun 6, 2010
    Omaha
    Well, I just thought it was my imagination the first time I replaced my strings with Daddario round wounds, but I really hate the way they sound new. Just replaced the strings on another of my basses with Daddarios, and I hate the sound. Again. But I really like the way my Daddarios sound once they're old-ish. Not lifeless, but certainly not zingy. Is there a string that sounds like this new when it comes out of the package? I might be a candidate for flats. Any thoughts?

2. DTF

DTF

Feb 14, 2010
    queens
    ghs precision flats , sound nice and dead when brand new compared to other flats imho

3. mmbongo

mmbongo Five Time World Champion Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2009
    Carolinas
    DR Jonas Hellborgs. All the advantages of roundwounds without the zing!

4. waxcomb

waxcomb

Jun 29, 2003
    Martinez, CA
    TI jazz rounds

5. iovar

iovar

May 7, 2011
    Chania, Crete
    La Bella Slappers. Nickel wrapping over steel core and yet they are less bright than pure nickel.

When I got them, I replaced a 1 to 1,5 months old set of d-addarios exl-220 and the LaBellas sounded almost the same.

6. StyleOverShow

StyleOverShow Still Playing After All These Years Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2008
    Portland
    +1 on the TI's....just wanted to add that sometimes NIB strings are dead on arrival..bad batch or something...dunno

7. Tridacnid

Tridacnid

Jun 6, 2010
    Omaha
    Just rubbed some butter on the strings to help accelerate the aging process (strings are like fine wine?), but I'll check out these strings next time I need to replace a set.