New Teacher stuff

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by thewanderer24, Jan 8, 2004.

1. thewanderer24

Apr 29, 2002
    SJ, CA
    Any of you electric only players ever take lesson from a double bass only player?

I am about to start lessons with someone that doesn't, I think, play any electric at all anymore (though has a music degree with a focus on electric bass). This person is a well respected, local Jazz upright player and teacher, though, and for whatever reason, is willing to work with me.

I am a self taught (never took any lessons) rock, funk, blues, etc. guy. Have been gigging a bunch for the last couple years, and am fairly comfortable and confident in those settings.

The way I see it, if I am gonna take lessons, I need to focus more on where I am weak, than on the things I already do well. So, I am hoping this person will be able to build up my theory chops, chart reading, etc. and hopefully get me to the point where I can be comfortable in most Jazz settings. I am also doing this with the hope that it will help me with the current stuff I play.

Because of their prior experience with electric bass, this teacher is confident in the ability to correct any kind of mechanics or technique issues I may have, just not (in their words) "gonna be able to elegantly demonstrate certain things on the electric."

I was talking to a "rocker" friend that thought I was nuts, and put some doubts in my head about going this way. What do you guys think?? Does this seem like a good idea?
  2. Lovebown

Jan 6, 2001
    Sorry to generalize but if what you want is to work on your jazz chops and so forth, uprigth player will be the way to go I think. Not that there aren't many good electric jazz bassists....they're just less common ;)

Since this guy has atleasty played electric in the passed he will probably be able to address technique issues if yo have em.

Well.. i say go for it..

3. bassmantele

Jul 22, 2003
    Boston MA USA
    I think you're doing the right thing. Anyone can sit with a metronome and learn to play what he already knows faster. It sounds like you want someone to open new doors for you. Give the guy a chance to show what he can do for you.
  4. RicPlaya

Apr 22, 2003
    Whitmoretucky MI
    Give it a shot, if he is well respected I am sure you can take something form learning from him. If you want to learn jazz I think by going with an upright jazz type player you will be in good hands and he sounds qualitfied.
  5. Boplicity

Boplicity Supporting Member

I have tremendous respect for double bass players. My favorite teacher played double bass in the state symphony orchestra plus electric bass in a highly sucessful metal band--a most unusual combination.

I feel that the double bassist will be able to help you in many postive ways, especially on theory and jazz improvisation. He'll be able to help you create walking bass lines, plus help you with other jazz bass lines.

It seems to me as if you have a valuable opportunity with the teacher you describe. I'm not sure why your friend discouraged you. I'd be curious to know what he felt would be the downside for you with this teacher. I an see only positive outcomes.