1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

New to the bluegrass scene (recordings included)

Discussion in 'Bluegrass [DB]' started by Alex Jenkins, Apr 19, 2010.

1. Hey everybody,

I usually stay more towards the classical side of TB, but I figured I might put something up and get some feedback on it.

I've been playing classical for a number of years, as well as some jazz and bass guitar and fairly recently, I've started up a pseudo bluegrass/folk rock band. Let me know what you guys think and if you have any feedback for me because I'm new to the bluegrass scene.

Thanks,
    Alex

www.myspace.com/thewhiskeycollection
    www.youtube.com/thewhiskeycollection

2. Magneto_Man

Magneto_Man

Apr 19, 2010
    Boston, MA
    it sounds real nice brotha

3. St-Teddy-Hall

St-Teddy-Hall

Dec 30, 2008
    london
    I like it, it sounds really good. Can you get your band on iTunes? Don't know how that works, but I might buy those tracks.

4. masterfader87

masterfader87

Jan 18, 2010
    I LOVE it. Nice work man. :D

5. Thanks guys. I don't know if we can really get on iTunes. Once we put out a real album, maybe I'll post a link to it.

Thanks for the kind words guys.

Alex

6. joshmickelson

joshmickelson

Nov 19, 2008
    Denver, CO
    enjoying this, keep us posted!

7. HateyMcAmp

HateyMcAmp Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2006
    Colorado
    From one NYC folkie to another, sounds great! Hope to hear you guys play around town!

8. Matt Ides

Matt Ides Supporting Member

May 12, 2004
    Minneapolis, MN
    Sounds great! Bass sounds good in the mix.

9. WilliamJames

WilliamJames

Mar 2, 2011
    Seller of Hand-Knit Strap Pads
    As a proud Kentucky boy who lives a stones throw down Bill Monroe highway from Little Nashville (not joking at all) I can say with all the respect and love in the world that it sounds not a thing like Bluegrass music....It sounds awesome technically, great lyrics, pro recording...but it just ain't bluegrass.

Don't take offense, I'm not trying to bring you down at all, the music sounds really fantastic, it just doesn't really fit that genre. Bluegrass has a very specific style of singing and playing. You certainly sound inspired by bluegrass but I wouldn't call it that.

Call it NYC folk.

Here are examples of bluegrass music....

10. MelodiousThump

MelodiousThump

Jul 4, 2006
    I love your music. Very Creative.

It's a shame that the "marketing powers that be" think that everything has to be filed away in neat little pigeon-holes. I think they presume that the public is as lacking in intelligence as they are.

Maybe you could come up with your own category name. You definitely have your own sound, but IT AIN'T BLUEGRASS!

You guys sound good!

11. Bass Doc

Bass Doc

Dec 1, 2010
    Charleston SC
    Man I LOVE your sound!

However, I must agree that it is NOT Bluegrass.

Perhaps you could fall better in the "Newgrass" category.

Your sound reminds me in some ways of Railroad Earth.

Let us know if you make a CD, I'll buy one.

12. Bass Doc

Bass Doc

Dec 1, 2010
    Charleston SC

Oops just noticed the date - that's an Old post I just responded to- sorry!