1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

New Torque Wrench

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Spector_Ray, Feb 21, 2008.

1. Spector_Ray

Spector_Ray

Aug 8, 2004
    Texas
    So I'm in the market for a new torque wrench. I'd like to get two(3/8" and 1/2" drive), but for now I'd like the 1/2" drive. Of course I want the best bang for the buck so I'd like to find one with a nice balance of price and quality. A guy told me that he bought one from Harbor Freight Tools, but I don't trust most of the stuff there, at least not a precision tool. What are your suggestions?

2. If price is no object, snap on.

lowsound

3. A reasonable compromise would be Craftsman. The warranty is darn good, too.

4. Craftsman has them at several price points. I think their stuff is the best QUALTY tools for the buck. I would also go with SnapON. The one I got from my Dad is PREEEECISE!!! But they are really FUGGIN expensive!!

5. Craftsman are good, forgot about them. Mastercraft is even better, but I don't know if those are sold in the US.

lowsound

6. Croox

Croox

Sep 16, 2007
    South Side Chicago
    go snap on I've got 3 of them by snap on. its good stuff and it really isnt that expensive if your using them for your career.
    other wise I'd suggest craftsman professional series they got good stuff too

7. jsbass

jsbass

Sep 3, 2006
    WI
    Craftsman.

Just IMO, Snap-on is way over priced for the home user. Snap-on isn't even THAT much better.

8. santucci218

santucci218

Jan 26, 2007
    Pittsburgh
    applied directly to the forehead =]

9. Fix'd for ya.

lowsound

10. Bryan316

Bryan316 Banned

Dec 20, 2006
    Detroit
    Do you just need ft-lbs accuracy? Or would you ever have applications for in-lb accuracy? I've been running into projects where I gotta be really gentle and tighten stuff down only in inch-pounds. So if you find a package deal, grab a 3/8" a 1/2" and a small in-lb as well.

I'm looking at all my industrial supply companies' sales flyers... gimme a while to see what I can find.

11. Yup, if you need inch-pounds, get a 1/4" drive torque wrench. I'd much rather work with a tool designed to operate in the correct torque range.

Not too long ago I did an intake manifold gasket replacement on a Chevy 4.3L Vortec V6. The top half of the intake plenum is a plastic shell...and I ALMOST missed the fact that the torque spec for its rather spindly bolts was given in Inch-pounds. I caught it JUST in time, before I started turning the torque wrench. The more I looked at those bolts, the more I couldn't understand how they could handle that many FOOT-pounds. Good thing I stopped and double-checked myself.

When it comes to torquing stuff, don't just grab a number out of a manual and start reefing on bolts - look at the bolts and setup, and consider whether the number you found makes any sense! Sometimes one gets the wrong number - or interprets it incorrectly.

12. buzzbass

buzzbass Shoo Shoo Retarded Flu !

Apr 23, 2003
    NJ
    I have 3 SK TRs that I love. Very high quality, very accurate. I'm fixing to buy a MAC tools dealership later this year. These are 3 tools that WILL NOT be replaced by MAC products in the future. SK stuff is really high Quality, yet they don't have a big name. There's an SK dealer right by my house. I'd be happy to pick one up, and ship it to you, if you can't find one down there.

13. Bryan316

Bryan316 Banned

Dec 20, 2006
    Detroit
    Hmm.... enlighten us on the SK brand. Website? Links?

14. Bob Lee (QSC)

Bob Lee (QSC) In case you missed it, I work for QSC Audio! Commercial User

Jul 3, 2001
    Costa Mesa, Calif.
    Technical Communications Developer, QSC Audio
    I bought a Craftsman 1/2" drive torque wrench about 23 years ago when I did my first engine rebuild project. It was on sale for about $50 at the time and has served me very well ever since.

Sometimes Harbor Freight has tools that I'd consider buying, but not usually. At least not for anything other than light-duty work.

15. buzzbass

buzzbass Shoo Shoo Retarded Flu !

Apr 23, 2003
    NJ
    SK is one of the oldest tool brands in the US. They predate Craftsman, Snap on, and many others. Do a Google search, I'm sure it'll come right up. They are a very high quality tool brand. Most auto mechanics know who they are.

16. BigDaddyRob

BigDaddyRob

Dec 26, 2006
    SK makes good tools, but you might want to check these guys out:
    http://www.cditorque.com/main.html

And get a dial-type instead of a click-type, which is about all Sears sells. If you're out to spend the big bucks, go for an electronic.

I've got a couple of CDI 3/8" drive torque wrenches, and they're a joy to use.

17. Bob Lee (QSC)

Bob Lee (QSC) In case you missed it, I work for QSC Audio! Commercial User

Jul 3, 2001
    Costa Mesa, Calif.
    Technical Communications Developer, QSC Audio
    SK are good. I remember my dad had SK socket wrench sets when I was a kid.

I like a click-type wrench for high-torque work, and a deflection beam wrench for low torque.

18. Spector_Ray

Spector_Ray

Aug 8, 2004
    Texas
    I've got an old Matco beam style wrench, but my brother had it banging around in a box and bent the pointer. Craftsman would seem to be the best of both price and quality.

19. mvw356

mvw356

Mar 2, 2006
    Brussels
    Snapon, Facom and Stahlwille are all recomended.

20. Since I use these for a living...

Snap On and SK are accurate enough out the box to be calibrated to national standards. MasterCraft and Craftsman generally are not. The others mentioned I have no experience with. The point being is that if you are truely doing something that requires a torque wrench, then you need an accurate torque wrench, otherwise you might as well just guess.

Some one said that SO and SK were over priced for the quality. Not true, unless you don't need the quality to start with.