Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

New tubes for my Eden WT800

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by tiefling, Jun 29, 2005.

1. tiefling

tiefling

Aug 19, 2003
    Washington DC
    I’m thinking about replacing the tubes in preamp of my Eden WT800. I had the amp serviced about 2 years ago and I think they are due for changing. I don’t know much about tubes other than that different tubes produce different tones. Can anyone make a recommendation? Thanks!

2. It's tube. Singular in the WT800. There's one 7025. I like the Groove Tubes 7025.

3. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    FWIW, when I tried swapping out the tube in my Eden Navigator, it made no significant tonal difference. I have, however, heard real difference tube rolling in other preamps. So, my recommendation with Eden preamps/heads is to leave the tube alone - or at the very least, don't spend a lot of money on a replacement.

Tom.

4. DaveMcLain

DaveMcLain

Jun 19, 2005
    Cuba MO
    I good preamp tube should last for years. If the tube is not overdriven you might not hear much difference between different versions of the 12AX7. Changing to the European ECC83 or the 7025 might give you some different sounds but those differences will tend to be very subtle.

5. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    like others have said the tube in the preamp of the eden doesn't have as radical of an effect as the tubes in some other preamps. Plug straight into the effects return of an eden (which is post tube and enhance but pre eq) and you'll find that the amp sounds very similar to when you plug into the front input. IME, most of the eden "sound" is in the EQ section, even when it's flat.

Also, tubes can last for years and years, so don't worry about changing them liek you would spark plugs.

FWIW, i did try some alternate tubes in my eden at one time and i found the stock chinese 12ax7 to be the best IMO. that was the brightest tube of the bunch. The eden can get a bit dark sounding, and "warmer" sounding tubes seemed to be a bit much in it. So the use of a bright tube in it seems to even things out.