New Who C.D.

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by demolition, Jun 8, 2004.

1. demolition

demolition Guest

Jul 5, 2003
    I got a chance to watch the new WHO video and it rocks :hyper: ,OX does an awesome solo during 5-15 thats really cool,my only disappointment was when they did "THE REAL ME"(WHICH HAS A GREAT BASS PART)they really did'nt focus on him to muchmactually he was'nt focused on that much period.
    Thats what I hate about the music world,bass players are not the focal point of the show,even when the bass part makes up the song :mad: .
    Otherwise it was a good vid.CHECK IT OUT! :bassist:
  2. DaveBeny

Mar 22, 2000
    London, UK
    From the title of the thread, I thought this was going to be about the new album that Daltrey and Townsend are recording.

Which new video are you talking about? 'The Kids are Alright'? If so, I agree, it's very good!
  3. As TKAA features neither "5:15" nor "The Real Me," Demolition must be referring to the Live At Royal Albert Hall DVD.

While hardly new (it came out in 2001), it is very, very good...while the Rolling Stones have very little genuine authority on stage anymore (and what little musical muscle is provided by the many outsiders who are part of their touring unit), The Who manage to kick some serious ass with just guitar, bass, drums and keyboards.

If you want some nice isolation shots of Entwistle, by all means get the DVD reissue of The Kids...; you can access that "Ox-Cam" feature, which is the camera trained on him during "Baba O'Reilly" and "won't Get Fooled Again."
  4. demolition

demolition Guest

Jul 5, 2003
    Thats is the correct vid...,I wish there was more focus on The Ox but like they say"Wish in one hand,Sh*t in the other!"I guess Pete T. strumming his axe for 3 hours is a bit more interesting than one of the most entertaining bassists of the era. :bassist:
  5. I agree that Albert Hall, while a great DVD, is a bit Townshend-centric. Given JAE's death, it makes me wonder if (notwithstanding his coke-induced death) he was ill besides; he rarely took a lead vocal, stopped doing harmonies entirely and, as good as "5:15" was, is playing was noticeably "sloppier" (for want of a better term) than it had been on the 1996 Quadrophenia tour. He basically just diddles away, getting away with being (to paraphrase Moonie) "the best Entwistle-style bassist in the world." And if you listen to the 2002 tracks that came with the Albert Hall CD (Ox's last live work), you'll hear he sounds even worse.

Watching him on the "Ox-cam" on Kids Are Alright is a revelation, though. Brilliant stuff.
  6. I was gonna say, considering Entwistles death it couldnt be a very recent CD. And Im not much interested in ever seeing a replacement.
    RIP John
  7. demolition

demolition Guest

Jul 5, 2003
    I myself am in recovery from substance abuse and it sucks watching my favorite stars die from a disease that can be arrested(complete recovery is impossible),I've watched 3 friends just this year die from this affliction and a couple of musicians that i've enjoyed listening too.
    On the brite side he did leave a great legacy of music and style that is always being emulated,and what an awesome tone he had,I usually like the old flatwound p-bass tone but his brite rounds and buzzard bass was cool sh^t.
    OFTEN IMMATATED BUT NEVER DUPLICATED ! R.I.P. Thunderthumbs :bassist: