New wood guerilla

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by Krompeer, Apr 29, 2012.

1. Hello all
    Few months ago my friend from a small luthier company an I started tailoring my new bass and I hope we made some nice solutions
    I need bass that is small enough to fit in any airplain's cabin luggage, it must be light, it must be rock strong constructed, it must sound good in every situation.
    For hardware we selected abm single tuner headless system, hipshot head, dual action trussrod, two carbon bars for extra strength. Neck will be asymmetrical, thinner by lower strings, 34 inch.
    Wood will be poplar, padauk, red oak, we'll see for fingerboard.
    I wanted only one pickup on the sweet spot, it will be delano mc he, it can deliver many useful tones with no need for another pickup, and with one pickup we will lower the weight. We will fit graphtech piezos in bridge, i much prefer piezo pickup for broadband tone than neck pickup
    It will have bartolini 5.4 preamp, bartolini mpb2 piezo buffer
    I will look something like this
    pupoljakNOVI.jpg
    For now it is at this stage
    300120123201.jpg
    We are only waiting for abm brigde so we can continue, i will post new pictures as we continue
    I need your help, can you suggest a color?
    Thanks

2. Finally all parts arrived. Assembly started with small changes. Head is abm , fingerboard is ebony 5, and there will be an airbrush finish, i found a very good airbrush artist. I have selected some intresting textures and i'm not sure what will it be, but i'll be glad to hear an opinion

100520125531.jpg
    100520125541.jpg
    pupoljakNOVIfinish.jpg
    pupoljakNOVIfinish18.jpg
    pupoljakNOVIfinish17.jpg
    pupoljakNOVIfinish16.jpg
    pupoljakNOVIfinish15.jpg
    pupoljakNOVIfinish14.jpg
    pupoljakNOVIfinish13.jpg
    pupoljakNOVIfinish12.jpg
    pupoljakNOVIfinish11.jpg
    pupoljakNOVIfinish10.jpg
    pupoljakNOVIfinish9.jpg
    pupoljakNOVIfinish8.jpg
    pupoljakNOVIfinish7.jpg
    pupoljakNOVIfinish6.jpg
    pupoljakNOVIfinish5.jpg
    pupoljakNOVIfinish4.jpg
    pupoljakNOVIfinish3.jpg
    pupoljakNOVIfinish2.jpg
    pupoljakNOVIfinish1.jpg

3. Smilodon

Smilodon Supporting Member

Feb 18, 2012
    Norway
    Nice design. :)

As for a texture, that green leaf design fits the shape of body and headstock very well.

To be honest though, the rest of the designs doesn't really fit the bass at all. A good airbrush artist will probably be able to make a design that follow the shape of the body a bit better.

(I know the ones you posted are just photoshop mockups, but still worth thinking about :) )

4. Thanks Smilodon
    Those are for preview purpose only(i'm horrible with photoshop :) ). The guy i know is great reproducer, but not someone i could trust to decide what it will look like, so i'll rather decide myself and tell him what to do. You are fourth that says that green one is best solution by now. I also thought about dark violet transparent finish.
    Cheers

5. Smilodon

Smilodon Supporting Member

Feb 18, 2012
    Norway
    Hmm... Try this (I don't have access to PS right now):

Open the green design in photoshop and adjust the hue until the design turns a purple/pink-ish. That may be a great design. Simple, but striking. :)

6. 2rupazashipku.jpg
    2arupazashipku.jpg
    3stranicefingerboard-a.jpg
    4usecanjekanalicazapragove.jpg
    5pragovi.jpg
    6pragoviopet.jpg
    7lepljenjekrilatjtela.jpg
    8istokoi7.jpg
    9koi8alodledja.jpg
    tachkesastrane.jpg

7. I gave up airbrush finish(perhaps some other time) i it will be the combination black-orange.
    210520125661.jpg
    210520125671.jpg
    210520125681.jpg
    210520125711.jpg

8. Almost done. It is assembled just for test and it already sounds sick. I'm taking it to one gig before lacquering just to be sure that's it. Delano sounds perfect, although it's wired without switch(it will give me series/single/parallel choice), and piezo is giving a beautiful dimension to the sound
    wuckotheheadless.jpg
    24052012589.jpg
    24052012588.jpg
    24052012584.jpg

9. Hopkins

Hopkins Supporting Member Commercial User

Nov 17, 2010
    Houston Tx
    Owner/Builder @Hopkins Guitars
    I knew it! The headless bass man does exist!

10. I didn't really like the design, until I saw it on you. It looks great on a strap!

lowsound

11. bluebird28

bluebird28

Feb 25, 2012
    Tacoma. WA
    IMHO that is a piece of art just the way it is, protect the wood with an oil finish and make sweet love to it. Beautiful!

12. I must say....Nice bass!!!

13. thanks! I forgot to say, neck profile is this shape vrat-profil.jpg
    will post some clips and(hope) video review as soon as its done

14. bassbrizzle

bassbrizzle

Apr 18, 2011
    When I saw your mockups I thought it was gonna turn out bad. After seeing the real thing, I think it's an awesome and different design and is something that seems really unique and sets you apart. Really good work.

15. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 28, 2021