1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

New York Phil.

Discussion in 'Orchestral Auditions [DB]' started by rogue4, Jan 6, 2012.

1. rogue4

rogue4

May 31, 2010
    With a new conductor and the loss of Levinson, they just might hire someone. I don't see them filling all four spots, but one can hope.

2. bassat88

bassat88

Mar 3, 2008
    New York City
    FYI. The last time Charlie Nilles was the only person in the finals. Everyone voted yes except for the conductor. I doubt Levinson was a reason for the lack of hiring. However they did hire a new executive director so that may change how the New York Phil operates quite a bit.

3. rogue4

rogue4

May 31, 2010
    Ahhhh...the sad thing is, Charlie could probably wipe the floor with half the section...but he's not good enough for the conductor. I think Cleveland had a similar situation with their audition. I wonder what would happen if current members had to re-audition for their spots? The bar seems to be set too high.

4. dtosky

dtosky

Jan 4, 2010
    The only similarity between the circumstances of the two auditions was the resulting no-hire, which is unfortunate in itself. It's not my impression that the panel at the last Cleveland audition thought the final candidates in their last audition were in any way unqualified.

5. filrich

filrich

Oct 14, 2006
    I think it is rather naive to assume any one player could "wipe the floor" of any bass section. Unfortunately, I have seen comments of this nature before and just took it with no regard. From my experience in this business, I can safely assume that one who makes such a comment has never played in a quality group.

As for Cleveland, somehow, by the power of some unseen cosmic force, the three finalists didn't have that spark at the right moment. With that being said, I do like how the conductor hears every player from start to finish.

6. rogue4

rogue4

May 31, 2010
    Yes, by the power of some unseen cosmic force. Because they are not of this earth, but of this universe, perhaps?

7. Inuyasha

Inuyasha

Sep 12, 2009
    Has anyone heard from NY yet? Is there a tape? Is the list different from past auditions?

8. Andrew Chilcote

Andrew Chilcote

Mar 20, 2007
    sent in my cv a few weeks ago and havent heard. i believe they're in europe now?

9. Dbass926

Dbass926

Jun 20, 2005
    Philadelphia, PA
    Resume date is March 10th, I wouldn't expect to hear anything until after then?

10. ifg

ifg

May 4, 2011
    brooklyn, ny
    if anyone gets a copy of the list, i would love to see it, just for inspiration. (someone'd posted their list here a few years ago, too.)

11. Inuyasha

Inuyasha

Sep 12, 2009
    I'm guessing the rep. will be different from auditions in the past...I hope! My teacher told me principal of the Met was subbing in as principal, is this true?

12. Don Higdon

Don Higdon In Memoriam

Dec 11, 1999
    Princeton Junction, NJ
    Tim Cobb took a leave of absence from the Met and came over to the NYPhil.
    Leigh Mesh is now acting principal of the Met.

13. tkozal

tkozal

Feb 16, 2006
    New York City
    6 db players listed in the program, several as replacements, 9 on stage last night for "Pictures". Several looked old enough to have been retired for awhile.

14. Lowandloose

Lowandloose

Mar 3, 2012
    Does anyone know what the list was at the last audition?

15. basscello

basscello

Mar 6, 2012
    The list has been same since 2003 audition except few excerpts.

16. Random question here: why is the "before parting" movement from the prokofiev Romeo and Juliet suite always on the excerpt list for the new York Phil?
    I'm just curious....

17. eerbrev

eerbrev

Dec 6, 2009
    Ottawa, ON, CAN
    they wouldn't put it on there if they weren't using it to look for something in particular. perhaps its for the legato sound? who knows (someone much more experienced than I, I'm sure).

18. chicagodoubler

chicagodoubler Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2007
    Chicago, that toddling town
    Endorsing Artist: Lakland, Genz Benz
    Could someone kindly post the list?

19. It is very easy to hire. Just need a good short list that covers a range of playing styles. There is no reason for there not to be a hire except if the orchestra is not financially ready to hire. In that case there should be no audition. A long list is also a way orchestras weed out players that are not prepared for the job. This usually does not work.