1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

New York trip soon

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by TolerancEJ, Nov 8, 2018.

1. My wife and I will have a New York trip soon. We arrive Saturday. I’m aware of Brooklyn Bass Bash. I will try to check that out, if I can convince my wife.

Other than that, I’m looking for food recommendations. Where to enjoy a) Steak (medium priced) and b) Cold Cheese Pizza. We’re staying in the Times Square area, but are fine to visit other boroughs.

If I can convince my wife, I’d like to check out a jazz club. Again, looking for recommendations.

BOOG likes this.
  2. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses
    I never heard of cold cheese pizza :). Is that a NY thing? I know what left over unheated pizza out of the fridge is. Don't think that's limited to NYers though.

But since you mentioned Times Square and pizza, 48th and 8th. 2 Brothers Pizze. $1 a slice, and I think one of best pizza places in the city. I love it!

And if you want a nicer atmosphere, up the block (towards 7th) on 48th street is Lazarra Pizza. It's what I think they call artisan pizza? Like home made? The place is famous and one of the highest rated pizza places in NY. They also have great Italian food. My drummer pal Tony one of the owners. If you tell him Joe Nerve sent you, I'm pretty sure he'll do ya right :). Though it might depend on his mood. Great drummer and great guy to talk music with.

Can't help you with the steak, I'm vegetarian...

Can't help you with the jazz club, I'm a rock and roll guy...

Have fun!

TolerancEJ likes this.
  3. glocke1

glocke1

Apr 30, 2002
    PA
    ha...

I just had some of that pizza Wednesday night. It was super delicious.

OP...be sure to visit Sam Ash up there and say hi to Larry Hartke...

TolerancEJ likes this.
  4. It’s a pizza fresh out of the oven. That’s when the cheese goes on top.

5. Bob_Ross

Bob_Ross Supporting Member

Dec 29, 2012
    It's New York freakin' City, you need to disabuse yourself of the notion that anything will be "medium priced".
    And to be honest, the steaks at Keens or Uncle Jack's are so good that you won't mind paying market rate for them. Seriously, treat yourself to one of those venues. Splurge, you're worth it! Both are walking distance from Times Square.

Gorn and TolerancEJ like this.
  6. RichardW

RichardW

Feb 25, 2016
    near Philly
    Never heard of cold cheese pizza, unless you just pulled a slice out of the refrigerator.

If you'll be in mid-town, however, check out John's Pizza. I think it's on 42nd Street, near Broadway. Best pizza in New York, IMO. They have another location on Bleeker Street in the Village, which I prefer just for the ambiance. You could grab a pie there and then check out the Village Vanguard, which is just around the corner on 7th.

Jborg and TolerancEJ like this.
  7. They put cheese on the pizza when it comes out of the oven.

RichardW likes this.
  8. Bob_Ross

Bob_Ross Supporting Member

Dec 29, 2012
    re: Jazz clubs ...depends on what sort of Jazz you seek. And, for that matter, what sort of club atmosphere you prefer. I tend to like the music at 55 Bar better than most of the more upscale venues (like The Village Vanguard or Iridium), but it's kind of a funky joint; you probably wouldn't want to take your grandmother there.

TolerancEJ likes this.
  9. Live Jazz of any style is very difficult to locate in Vancouver. I’ve never watched live.

Thanks for the recommendations. I have to consider the atmosphere as I will go with my wife.

10. Ed Fuqua

Ed Fuqua

Dec 13, 1999
    NYC
    Chuck Sher publishes my book, WALKING BASSICS:The Fundamentals of Jazz Bass Playing.
    Check the last few pages. Any name you don't recognize, hit Google or Youtube to see if that's what you want to hear. Mezzrow is generally always worth a visit, Jazz Standard, Small's, Smoke (which pretty much always has good, solid mainstream). Dizzy's is pricey, Blue Note is pricey. Uptown, there's Minton's a few other joints. There's some nice performance venues in Brooklyn, a few clubs.
    The New York City Jazz Record

TolerancEJ likes this.
  11. Ed Fuqua

Ed Fuqua

Dec 13, 1999
    NYC
    Chuck Sher publishes my book, WALKING BASSICS:The Fundamentals of Jazz Bass Playing.
    Just a quick look, Bad Plus is at the Vanguard, Birdland has the Django festival (if you like gypsy jazz), Michael Weiss has a nice quartet at Small's, Sunday Jon Faddis has a nice quartet at Dizzy's and Don Braden is leading a tribute to Stanley Turrentine at Zinc Bar...

TolerancEJ likes this.
  12. HypersoulRocks

HypersoulRocks Supporting Member

Jun 7, 2011
    Houston,TX
    The best pizza ever is at L&B Spumoni Gardens.
    Order the square. Your life will never be the same.

TolerancEJ likes this.
  13. Take the A train out to Harlem and go to Sylvia's Soul Food It is just a few doors down from The Apollo Theater.
    If you happen to be there on Wednesday go to The Apollo for ammeter night.
    Other food recommendations are Katz's Deli as well as Russ and Daughter.
    You can get super cheap tickets to Broadway shows on line the same night as the show if they have unsold seats.
    Have a great time!

diegom and TolerancEJ like this.
  14. Dizzy and Stanley are legendary! great recommendation!

TolerancEJ likes this.
  15. JKos

JKos

Oct 26, 2010
    Torrance, CA
    Google "cold cheese pizza" and the top result is from September of 2017. You sure this is still a thing? You have folks from NY saying they haven't heard of it. It's definitely not the happening thing in NY City pizza, it seems.

- John

TolerancEJ and flyingfinbar like this.
  16. Gorn

Gorn

Dec 15, 2011
    Queens, NY
    @TolerancEJ
    I second the notion of forgetting medium price for steaks. The Peter Luger in Brooklyn is excellent. Sparks in Manhattan or Keens. Between you and the wife it’ll end up being around $300 with sides and a bottle of wine but I promise it’s worth it.

Bob_Ross and TolerancEJ like this.
  17. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses
    This is true, but honestly... not worth the hike from Times Square.

Spumoni Gardens is only 10 minutes away from me.

And now I want some!

TolerancEJ and Stumbo like this.
  18. HypersoulRocks

HypersoulRocks Supporting Member

Jun 7, 2011
    Houston,TX
    It’s the first stop I make when I go home. I’ll be there next week!

Joe Nerve likes this.
  19. Acoop

Acoop

Feb 21, 2012
    I've always found ten mins in Times Sq. about enough. ... Take the subway down to Canal Street and all the purse, knock off, vendors, you're wife will love you for it. ... Then walk East along Canal and make you way to Chinatown, I lived in Van for 15-years, so we both know Chinatowns, but this one is worth a visit, then walk north and you'll hit Little Italy, then eventually you'll make it to Greenwich Village and Bleeker Street and Washington Sq. ... About 10-years ago I got a personal tour from an ex-cop you was a friend of Jaco's when he lived in NYC in his apt on Jones street and eventually living in Washington Sq Park. ... I'm sure if they're still printing the Village Voice but, it was a great way to get a run down on who's playing where while you're in town.
    Enjoy

glocke1 likes this.
  20. Shishka Bob

Shishka Bob

May 28, 2017
    CT
    Visit Aguilar Amplification and have a tour.
    599 Broadway 7th Floor
    New York, NY 10012
    Home A

TolerancEJ and glocke1 like this.