1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Newb question about flat wound strings

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Tombolino, Apr 17, 2015.

1. Tombolino

Tombolino

Dec 28, 2012
    I have read a lot that flat wounds can sound good for some genres like country. I play in a country band and a rock/funk/blues/reggae cover band. If put on flat wounds, would it it sound not apporpriate/weird for rock/funk/blues?

2. Mr.Lowe

Mr.Lowe

Aug 6, 2014
    Seattle
    No string is bound to specific genre, flat wounds are great for a nice warm and thumpy tone. Should work just fine for any of those.

3. Oren Hudson

Oren Hudson

Dec 25, 2007
    Gastonia, NC
    Just remember that flats were the only strings through at least the 60's and probably beyond, so tons of great rock etc. was played and recorded with them. EQ on bass and/or amp can always influence a sound on any type string.

4. Jeff Scott

Jeff Scott Rickenbacker guru.......... Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2006
    Some guys, such as Steve Harris, have signature flatwound strings, so yeah, I totally agree that flats are good for any kind of music.

scourgeofgod likes this.
  5. Jeff K

Jeff K Supporting Member

Jul 9, 2005
    Memphis, TN
    I've played flats exclusively for so long now that I don't even LIKE playing with rounds! I hate string hiss. Plus, I just love the sound and feel of flats. Give them a try at the very least. Then if you don't like them, go back to rounds. But I think they sound great for country, blues, and rock.

Klonk likes this.
  6. I'm a permanent flatwound convert as of a month ago after flirting with rounds for 18 months.

A couple of pieces of advice for you as a flatwound newbie:
    • Make sure to give them enough time to break in properly, keeping in mind flats do take longer to settle than rounds - even as long as 3-6 months. But once they do settle, they can last for years.
    • Never judge a set of flats before you have a chance to hear them in a live band mix. Flats can sound rather "dull and lifeless" all on their own compared to rounds, but the live mix is where they shine.

7. tjh

tjh Supporting Member

Mar 22, 2006
    Minnesota
    .. about the only thing to add to all the good info above, is that there can be a great deal of variety in flatwounds, both sonicly and in feel/tension/playability .. lots on here about the specifics of each though, so you may have a little reading ;)

8. organworthyplayer337

organworthyplayer337 Professional Hack

Oct 28, 2014
    Charlotte, NC
    Whatever you choose, get LaBella Flatwounds (760FX)

*runs for cover*

:bag:

Last edited: Apr 18, 2015
    Tombolino likes this.
  9. Tombolino

Tombolino

Dec 28, 2012
    lol runs for cover

organworthyplayer337 likes this.
  10. organworthyplayer337

organworthyplayer337 Professional Hack

Oct 28, 2014