1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Newbie seeking advice on possible transfusion

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by ritchierich, Aug 22, 2012.

1. ritchierich

ritchierich

Aug 22, 2012
  2. 202dy

202dy Supporting Member

Sep 26, 2006
    Not easy for those with a technical inclination. Impossible for those who do not possess at least intermediate guitar repair skills.

In any event, the finished project will look terrible owing to a huge gap between the end of the neck and the body or a very oddly placed bridge.

3. PlungerModerno

PlungerModerno

Apr 12, 2012
    Ireland
    +1.

The trick is - you need to maintain the scale length as the frets are fixed along that length. Assuming both necks are the same shape at the heel (or very similar) - you have to get it to match... The dean has 24 frets, the charvel 21 - with a slight overlap of the fingerboard (on ebay, rightmost pic)...

Due to the fret disparity (and assuming similar scale lengths) I would assume the charvel neck would be too short to fit the dean body - It's like an explorer, I picture the heel of the charvel neck ending just before the 21st fret.
    Look at where the 21st fret is on the dean - It may have a huge overlap - but I'd say the dean neck is likely longer by 10 - 40 mm.

You'd need to have them to hand to be sure, but I'd guess no dice. Fretless? sure... but fretted means you have few options. That 12th fret has to fall in the middle of the string! ;)

EDIT: The other way around might be possible (a little pocket routing on the jackson body)... but that's not what you asked.

4. ritchierich

ritchierich

Aug 22, 2012
    thanks for the advice lads
    back to the drawing board lol

5. testing1two

testing1two Gold Supporting Member

Feb 25, 2009
    Southern California
    If the Charvel neck fits in the Dean pocket (and yes, you should probably plug and re-drill the neck mounting screw holes) then you could just relocate the bridge 3/4" /18-20mm back from its current position. It does change the position of the pickups relative to the bridge but the scale length would be correct so the bass would at least play in tune.

To explain what others have said, the frets are spaced at precise intervals based on the scale length of the instrument (scale length is the distance between the nut and the bridge saddle of the instrument). So on the Dean, the neck has 24 frets and the distance between the nut and bridge saddle is approximately 34 inches. The Charvel on the other hand has 22 frets so the neck itself is 3/4" shorter than the Dean neck. This results in a bass with a 33.25" scale, but with frets that are still spaced for a 34" scale. That means is the bass will not play in tune as you move up the neck.

6. ritchierich

ritchierich

Aug 22, 2012
    the reason i ask is that i have a spare jackson neck and the opertunity to either buy an epiphone or dean explorer. i love the explorer shape but dont much care for the necks/heads. idealy id love the jackson neck on either if u no what i mean
    very limited budget too